CIFS Shares Intermittant

Status
Not open for further replies.

d2iguy

Cadet
Greetings to all. I am new to FreeNAS but a veteran IT/storage expert (D-Link, Equalogic, Lefthand). I've cranked up the following:
Hostname NAS.HOME
FreeNAS Build FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-x86 (10351)
Platform AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3400+
Memory 979MB
System Time Wed Mar 14 21:09:27 2012
Uptime 9:09PM up 53 mins, 0 users
Load Average 0.02, 0.05, 0.05
UFS

I plan to increase the RAM but for now have just been putting it through its paces at home. Setup and install went perfect. Talking on the network just fine. Volume building also went fine. Set permissions for guest access per online docs (thanks for the great docs and vids btw) etc. All successful. Now then, here is where the strangeness happens. From my Win7 laptop and Win7 desktop, I browse to \\NAS. Initially, Windows throws an error that it can't be accessed. Then, within a second, access is granted and I can see the list of three or four folders I have created for testing. If I click one of the folders, I can get into it. Seemed like a burp, right? Not exactly. Going back and forth to the network share produces the same error (as if the NAS or the NIC is going online/offline). To troubleshoot, I mapped a drive letter to the share to do some further testing. I click on the the drive letter and DON'T get the permission error. However, after clicking (and watching for a few seconds), I see that the drive mapping gets a red X and goes momentarily offline. The folder list disappears and then re-appears. Sounds like a NIC issue, right? Well, I setup a persistent PING to the NIC and it never drops a packet or goes above 3ms. And, this box has two NICs in it; an onboard 10/100 and a PCI Gigabit. The problem is consistent with both NICs which leads me to believe that it is not a NIC issue. I've read through the forums and while I find a few things that seem similar, nothing really lines up with the exact issue. Before I drop drown to a different version, I am looking for some insight from the seasoned FreeNAS community. One thing to add: I did use PUTTY to SSH into the FreeNAS and peg the gigabit interface per one of the FAQs that I read.

Please let me know if any of you have experienced this issue. Many thanks in advanced for your expertise.

Status
Not open for further replies.