SOLVED CIFS problems after upgrade from 8.0.4 to 8.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

stmcknig

Dabbler
Upgraded 8.0.4 to 8.3 and foolishly upgraded ZFS pool to 28 from 15 before checking CIFS was working. Can't now go back to earlier version.

System is booted from a USB key and initially used the GUI upgrade which appeared to work and updated the database okay. ZPOOL upgrade went okay and it appears the other shares like AFP and NFS are working fine - I'm not going to touch them though at this point!

I have a couple of older XMBC boxes however which don't implement NFS so have to get CIFS back off the floor:

Trying to start CIFS gives "The service could not be started" in the GUI.

/var/log/messages shows:

Nov 13 07:35:40 NAS notifier: Stopping dbus.
Nov 13 07:35:40 NAS avahi-daemon[37528]: Disconnected from D-Bus, exiting.
Nov 13 07:35:40 NAS notifier: dbus not running? (check /var/run/dbus/dbus.pid).
Nov 13 07:35:40 NAS notifier: Starting dbus.
Nov 13 07:35:40 NAS notifier: Stopping avahi-daemon.
Nov 13 07:35:40 NAS notifier: Failed to kill daemon: No such file or directory
Nov 13 07:35:40 NAS notifier: Stopping avahi-daemon.
Nov 13 07:35:40 NAS notifier: Failed to kill daemon: No such file or directory
Nov 13 07:35:40 NAS notifier: Starting avahi-daemon.
Nov 13 07:35:40 NAS avahi-daemon[37851]: WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!
Nov 13 07:35:40 NAS notifier: smbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/smbd.pid).
Nov 13 07:35:40 NAS notifier: Stopping nmbd.
Nov 13 07:35:40 NAS notifier: Waiting for PIDS: 37582.
Nov 13 07:35:41 NAS notifier: Performing sanity check on Samba configuration: OK
Nov 13 07:35:41 NAS notifier: smbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/smbd.pid).
Nov 13 07:35:41 NAS notifier: nmbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/nmbd.pid).
Nov 13 07:35:41 NAS notifier: Removing stale Samba tdb files: ....... done
Nov 13 07:35:41 NAS notifier: Starting nmbd.
Nov 13 07:35:41 NAS notifier: Starting smbd.

It "looks" like it started because there is a PID

drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 512 Nov 13 07:37 ./
drwxr-xr-x 9 root wheel 1024 Nov 12 21:23 ../
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 6 Nov 13 07:37 nmbd.pid
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 6 Nov 13 07:37 smbd.pid

but can't connect with any client and the CIFS service button is OFF.

testparm output:

Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb.conf
max_open_files: increasing sysctl_max (11095) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (11095) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[Backups]"
Processing section "[TV]"
Processing section "[Movies]"
WARNING: The security=share option is deprecated
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

[global]
dos charset = CP437
workgroup = FREENAS
server string = FreeNAS Server
security = SHARE
map to guest = Bad Password
obey pam restrictions = Yes
smb passwd file = /var/etc/private/smbpasswd
private dir = /var/etc/private
passdb backend = tdbsam:/var/etc/private/passdb.tdb
guest account = BigDisk
syslog only = Yes
max log size = 10
max protocol = SMB2
max xmit = 65535
deadtime = 15
load printers = No
printcap name = /dev/null
disable spoolss = Yes
dns proxy = No
idmap config * : backend = tdb
force user = BigDisk
force group = BigDisk
create mask = 0666
directory mask = 0777
directory name cache size = 0
use sendfile = Yes
strict locking = No

[Backups]
path = /mnt/BigDisk/Backups
read only = No
inherit acls = Yes
guest ok = Yes
veto files = /.snap/.windows/.zfs/
map archive = No
map readonly = no
vfs objects = zfsacl
nfs4:chown = yes
nfs4:acedup = merge
nfs4:mode = special

[TV]
path = /mnt/BigDisk/TV
read only = No
inherit acls = Yes
guest ok = Yes
map archive = No
map readonly = no
vfs objects = zfsacl

[Movies]
path = /mnt/BigDisk/Movies
read only = No
inherit acls = Yes
guest ok = Yes
map archive = No
map readonly = no
vfs objects = zfsacl

So is it really running or can it not be killed ?

[root@NAS] /var/run/samba# cat smbd.pid

[root@NAS] /var/run/samba# kill -9 39893
39893: No such process

[root@NAS] /var/run/samba# ps -ef | grep smbd
ps: Process environment requires procfs(5)
39928 0 S+ 0:00.00 grep smbd
[root@NAS] /var/run/samba# ps -ef | grep samba
39933 0 S+ 0:00.00 grep samba
[root@NAS] /var/run/samba# ps -ef | grep nmbd
39936 0 S+ 0:00.00 grep nmbd

Any clues here as I'm at my wits end....maybe more coffee needed. Nothing was broken with 8.0.4 but I figured it was time for an upgrade. Mistake.

bphillip3

Cadet
I think I created a similar problem upgrading to FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x64 (r12701M). I followed the upgrade instructions which advise you to turn off all services, upgrade, and then turn back on. But my CIFS will not turn on. It says samba failed sanity check. I might loose mine too.

Bryan

stmcknig

Dabbler
Well I dug around a number of other posts which suggested the configuration file and/or the database may have got corrupted during the upgrade, or the USB stick may have become compromised so I got a new one, built a new 8.3 and imported my ZFS pools. Fired up CIFS and it appeared to be started but could not connect. Turned it off and it wouldn't restart - at least according to the GUI but the PIDs were still there. So I think that exonerates the upgrade unless the corruption came across through the ZFS import which seems unlikely. When I ran 'testparm' it gave the smb.cfg file a clean bill of health - you may want to run that and see if you can correct yours. That may save the day for you.

Of course now I was at ZFS 28 so I couldn't go back to 8.2 and see if it was an 8.3 issue. Thought about trying to ditch CIFS for NFS but that was a whole other can of worms for my XBMC boxes involving more upgrades which I didn't want to get into.

Found out that NAS4Free supports ZFS 28 now so did a test burn and boot off a LiveCD, built a quick CIFS share and tested it - bingo works just fine.

So for now, I've had to defect to NAS4Free but at least my data is all still there and I can SAMBA to it. I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if something comes along to figure it out but at the moment I can only assume some bizarre hardware incompatibility introduced at 8.x

bquaresma

Cadet
I am having the exact same issue after my upgrade. Cannot kill smbd , no access to shares and the UI shows CIFS as ON, but failed to restart message appears

bquaresma

Cadet
Found the issue I had a default user for group access set up as NasUser and it didn't like the mixed cases. reconfigured with NASUSER and all worked great!
guess 8.3 added case sensitivity?

ACGS

Cadet
I did a GUI upgrade to v8.3.0 from v8.2.0 today. The upgrade install fine. However, I was not able to enable CIFS. Checked all my settings, and were same on previous working version 8.2.0.

I am a newbie so I don't know what to look for at this point. Pls help!!!!

ACGS

Cadet
Here is an exert from the log file

Dec 8 13:00:17 freenas notifier: dbus not running? (check /var/run/dbus/dbus.pid).
Dec 8 13:00:17 freenas notifier: Will not 'restart' dbus because dbus_enable is NO.
Dec 8 13:00:17 freenas notifier: Stopping avahi-daemon.
Dec 8 13:00:17 freenas notifier: Failed to kill daemon: No such file or directory
Dec 8 13:00:17 freenas notifier: Will not 'restart' avahi_daemon because avahi_daemon_enable is NO.
Dec 8 13:00:17 freenas notifier: smbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/smbd.pid).
Dec 8 13:00:17 freenas notifier: nmbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/nmbd.pid).
Dec 8 13:00:17 freenas notifier: Performing sanity check on Samba configuration: FAILED

How do i get smbd.pid, nmbd.pid, dbus.pid, and avahi_daemon to start at start-up?

Raymond Matos

Explorer
Im also having the same issue.
Im running 8.3.0 release p1.

CIFS was running fine, went to add another share and restart and now it wont start.

How can i fix this?

hammer

Cadet
I'm having a similar issue with 8.3.1 BETA1

I was able to start the service once an now I can't turn it off again. If I try to stop it /var/log/messages tells me the following (no entries in the Samba Logs):

Code:
Jan  1 14:39:24 freenas notifier: Stopping dbus.
Jan  1 14:39:24 freenas notifier: Will not 'restart' dbus because dbus_enable is NO.
Jan  1 14:39:24 freenas notifier: Stopping avahi-daemon.
Jan  1 14:39:24 freenas avahi-daemon[2256]: Disconnected from D-Bus, exiting.
Jan  1 14:39:24 freenas notifier: Will not 'restart' avahi_daemon because avahi_daemon_enable is NO.

Andrew Steel

Cadet
Similar Happening here!

Im running 8.3.0 release p1

Code:
Jan  2 14:16:04 server notifier: Stopping dbus.
Jan  2 14:16:04 server avahi-daemon[5925]: Disconnected from D-Bus, exiting.
Jan  2 14:16:04 server notifier: dbus not running? (check /var/run/dbus/dbus.pid).
Jan  2 14:16:04 server notifier: Starting dbus.
Jan  2 14:16:04 server notifier: Stopping avahi-daemon.
Jan  2 14:16:04 server notifier: Failed to kill daemon: No such file or directory
Jan  2 14:16:04 server notifier: Stopping avahi-daemon.
Jan  2 14:16:04 server notifier: Failed to kill daemon: No such file or directory
Jan  2 14:16:04 server notifier: Starting avahi-daemon.
Jan  2 14:16:04 server avahi-daemon[6490]: WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!
Jan  2 14:16:04 server notifier: smbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/smbd.pid).
Jan  2 14:16:04 server notifier: Stopping nmbd.
Jan  2 14:16:04 server notifier: Performing sanity check on Samba configuration: OK
Jan  2 14:16:04 server notifier: smbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/smbd.pid).
Jan  2 14:16:04 server notifier: nmbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/nmbd.pid).
Jan  2 14:16:04 server notifier: Removing stale Samba tdb files: ....... done
Jan  2 14:16:04 server notifier: Starting nmbd

Please tell me my data is safe?!?!

TDPsGM

Explorer
Found Solution to CIFS "The service could not be started"

stmcknig, I see in your Global settings that the "Workgroup" is set to "FREENAS"

I don't know why, but when I first started (release 8.0.2) I had "FREENAS" Set as my workgroup in the CIFS settings. Whether I did that, or it was set that way I can't remember.
I did the upgrades to my initial release (finally) and I could NOT for the life of me get it to turn back on.

After MUCH messing around ===> As soon as I changed the workgroup to the windows default of "WORKGROUP" (no quotes and in all caps) The damn thing started working perfectly!
When I changed it back to "FREENAS" (no quotes and in all caps - as it was before) it failed to again turn on, so I put it back to: WORKGROUP and everything was fine.

2013-01-CIFS_settings.jpg

AS A SIDE NOTE:
there was one other way that I was able to get it back on, and that was to import a configuration file that ALREADY had it turned on. If I did that it would be on, and working, I'd turn it off and it would NOT go back on until I changed the above setting.
I had tried clean installs, & older versions, etc, etc (before updating the zpool to v28) and nothing worked except that.

Hopefully that helps

waxxd

Cadet
Length Check

I have been playing around to get this to work for myself, it seems it is a length check on the workgroup name. It can be alpha numeric and at least 6 chars in length and not case sensitive.

Enjoy.

bphillip3

Cadet
The problem is fixed!!! I had given up, and was going to format. But then I thought I'd check in on the forum first. Glad I did.

For the noobs like me.... changing the workgroup name from freenas to my workgroup name, which is WORKGROUP is done under the CIFS settings. Once I did that I could turn CIFS back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.