SOLVED CIFS will not start

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpmahone

Dabbler
Guys,

i looked around on the forum but could not find a matching problem to this. i did a fresh install of 9.2.1.8 release, had configured UPS/CIFS and the basic networking stuff to get it accessible. i was able to access it from all my other PC's/smartphones. i copied my data back to the data volume i created. set permissions, i could access the data from all my pc's. They are all windows machines, and the share was created as a CIFS share. I had updated the email and a few other settings to get it fully configured and at some point the freenas box got hung up. it was not responsive for several minutes. i rebooted it and could never get CIFS to start up. can anyone give me some things to try or make some suggestions? Its a physical box(that i have run Freenas 7.x through 9.2.1.8 on), 4Gb ram, 4 x 1TB SATA Hdd's. The Processor is a dual Core Pentium 2.50Ghz.

any help would be appreciated.

Nov 15 04:57:17 freenas notifier: Traceback (most recent call last):
Nov 15 04:57:17 freenas notifier: File "/usr/local/libexec/nas/generate_smb4_conf.py", line 853, in <module>
Nov 15 04:57:17 freenas notifier: main()
Nov 15 04:57:17 freenas notifier: File "/usr/local/libexec/nas/generate_smb4_conf.py", line 810, in main
Nov 15 04:57:17 freenas notifier: smb4_setup()
Nov 15 04:57:17 freenas notifier: File "/usr/local/libexec/nas/generate_smb4_conf.py", line 666, in smb4_setup
Nov 15 04:57:17 freenas notifier: os.chmod("/var/db/samba4/private", 0700)
Nov 15 04:57:17 freenas notifier: OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/var/db/samba4/private'
Nov 15 04:57:17 freenas notifier: Performing sanity check on Samba configuration: FAILED
Nov 15 04:57:21 freenas notifier: Traceback (most recent call last):
Nov 15 04:57:21 freenas notifier: File "/usr/local/libexec/nas/generate_smb4_conf.py", line 853, in <module>
Nov 15 04:57:21 freenas notifier: main()
Nov 15 04:57:21 freenas notifier: File "/usr/local/libexec/nas/generate_smb4_conf.py", line 810, in main
Nov 15 04:57:21 freenas notifier: smb4_setup()
Nov 15 04:57:21 freenas notifier: File "/usr/local/libexec/nas/generate_smb4_conf.py", line 666, in smb4_setup
Nov 15 04:57:21 freenas notifier: os.chmod("/var/db/samba4/private", 0700)
Nov 15 04:57:21 freenas notifier: OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/var/db/samba4/private'
Nov 15 04:57:21 freenas notifier: winbindd not running? (check /winbindd.pid).
Nov 15 04:57:21 freenas notifier: smbd not running? (check /smbd.pid).
Nov 15 04:57:21 freenas notifier: nmbd not running? (check /nmbd.pid).
Nov 15 04:57:22 freenas notifier: Performing sanity check on Samba configuration: FAILED

rpmahone

Dabbler
Output from TESTPARM:

Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
max_open_files: increasing sysctl_max (11095) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (11095) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/usr/local/etc/smb4
.conf":
No such file or directory
Error loading services.

i went to the /usr/local/etc folder and sure enough smb4.conf was not there. How do i recreate it? Is that the problem?

-RPM-

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
The smb4.conf file should be automatically generated. The fact that it is not being generated indicates a larger problem. Post the output of the following
Code:
zpool status
getfacl /mnt/[pool]/.system
zfs get aclmode [pool]/.system

rpmahone

Dabbler
here's the output..

[root@server ~]# zpool status
pool: datavolume
state: ONLINE
scan: none requested
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
datavolume ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz1-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/a684bdd8-6ba9-11e4-917b-001b212e3f6d ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/a6e3ccb7-6ba9-11e4-917b-001b212e3f6d ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/a73c5d19-6ba9-11e4-917b-001b212e3f6d ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

[root@server ~]# getfacl /mnt/datavolume/.system
# file: /mnt/datavolume/.system
# owner: root
# group: wheel
user:serverguy:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:fd----:allow
group@:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:fd----:allow

[root@server ~]# zfs get aclmode datavolume/.system
NAME PROPERTY VALUE SOURCE
datavolume/.system aclmode restricted inherited from datavolume

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
It appears that you've manipulated the access control entries on your pool and have thereby manipulated the entries for your .system dataset, which has caused samba to barf all over itself. My suggestion is as follows:
1) Nuke your .system dataset "zfs destroy -rF datavolume/.system" and reboot
2) Create a dataset and share that instead of your pool

rpmahone

Dabbler
ok, thanks for the info... so i guess when i created my volume i really should have created a dataset and manipulated on the dataset level and not up at the volume level?

I configured the FTP service and copied the data that was updated over to another box, so blow that away and start again (like you said), and recopy the data.

thanks for you help!

-RPM-

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
ok, thanks for the info... so i guess when i created my volume i really should have created a dataset and manipulated on the dataset level and not up at the volume level?

I configured the FTP service and copied the data that was updated over to another box, so blow that away and start again (like you said), and recopy the data.

thanks for you help!

-RPM-
There's no need to recreate your pool. The command I gave you only deletes the ".system" dataset, which would be regenerated at next boot with the proper permissions.

rpmahone

Dabbler
Ok, well i was going to run the command you sent, i guess i would have just been surprised to see the data still there...

i executed the command and got this:

[root@server ~]# zfs destroy -rF datavolume/.system
invalid option 'F'
usage:
destroy [-fnpRrv] <filesystem|volume>
destroy [-dnpRrv] <filesystem|volume>@<snap>[%<snap>][,...]
destroy <filesystem|volume>#<bookmark>

For the property list, run: zfs set|get

For the delegated permission list, run: zfs allow|unallow

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Ok, well i was going to run the command you sent, i guess i would have just been surprised to see the data still there...

i executed the command and got this:

[root@server ~]# zfs destroy -rF datavolume/.system
invalid option 'F'
usage:
destroy [-fnpRrv] <filesystem|volume>
destroy [-dnpRrv] <filesystem|volume>@<snap>[%<snap>][,...]
destroy <filesystem|volume>#<bookmark>

For the property list, run: zfs set|get

For the delegated permission list, run: zfs allow|unallow
Bah. My memory sucks. "zfs destroy -fR datavolume/.system"

Status
Not open for further replies.