SOLVED CIFS performance issue on OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every since I upgraded to 9.10 my CIFS speeds have started maxing at 20MBps when I connect from OS X (10.11). The same clients can reach speeds of 90MBps when connected via AFP.

I've looked at every post I can find related to CIFS performance on OS X and cannot find a solution. I have even tried a complete reinstall and nothing helps. Below is my smb4.conf.

Code:
[global]
    server max protocol = SMB3
    interfaces = 127.0.0.1 10.0.8.107
    bind interfaces only = yes
    encrypt passwords = yes
    dns proxy = no
    strict locking = no
    oplocks = yes
    deadtime = 15
    max log size = 51200
    max open files = 470216
    logging = file
    load printers = no
    printing = bsd
    printcap name = /dev/null
    disable spoolss = yes
    getwd cache = yes
    guest account = nobody
    map to guest = Bad User
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    directory name cache size = 0
    kernel change notify = no
    panic action = /usr/local/libexec/samba/samba-backtrace
    nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g
    server string = FreeNAS Server
    ea support = yes
    store dos attributes = yes
    lm announce = yes
    hostname lookups = yes
    time server = yes
    acl allow execute always = true
    dos filemode = yes
    multicast dns register = yes
    domain logons = no
    local master = yes
    idmap config *: backend = tdb
    idmap config *: range = 90000001-100000000
    server role = standalone
    netbios name = FREENAS
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    security = user
    pid directory = /var/run/samba
    create mask = 0666
    directory mask = 0777
    client ntlmv2 auth = yes
    dos charset = CP437
    unix charset = UTF-8
    log level = 1

[Media]
    path = /mnt/vol1/media
    printable = no
    veto files = /.snapshot/.windows/.mac/.zfs/
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes
    vfs objects = zfs_space zfsacl aio_pthread streams_xattr
    hide dot files = yes
    guest ok = no
    nfs4:mode = special
    nfs4:acedup = merge
    nfs4:chown = true
    zfsacl:acesort = dontcare

Update: After pulling my hair out for over a month trying to figure out what was going on I discovered this solution. Turns out OS X started requiring signing on SMB connections and that severely slows things down. Currently the only workaround is to disable signing.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Update: After pulling my hair out for over a month trying to figure out what was going on I discovered this solution. Turns out OS X started requiring signing on SMB connections and that severely slows things down. Currently the only workaround is to disable signing.

Did you try out vfs_fruit? To enable it, add the following vfs_objects to ALL of your shares "fruit, catia, and streams_xattr".

Did you try out vfs_fruit? To enable it, add the following vfs_objects to ALL of your shares "fruit, catia, and streams_xattr".

I thought this was some kind of noob joke at first, but looks like it is worth exploring. I don't think it will solve my particular problem, but might address other issues I have (ex. xattr support) so I'll give it a try tonight.

ovizii

Patron
I thought this was some kind of noob joke at first, but looks like it is worth exploring. I don't think it will solve my particular problem, but might address other issues I have (ex. xattr support) so I'll give it a try tonight.
any feedback? did you give it a try?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
any feedback? did you give it a try?

I believe at this point (until apple fixes the problem with their client) the solution is still to disable SMB signing on the Mac client. Of course, try updating OSX to the latest version and seeing if it fixes the problem. Disabling SMB signing is probably fine for home users. If you're doing this for a business, you may wish to weigh the pros and cons of the change.

ovizii

Patron
thanks. any feedback on the fruit/catia config? I've been reading up and notice that fruit needs "ea support = yes" - curios if anyone tested it?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
thanks. any feedback on the fruit/catia config? I've been reading up and notice that fruit needs "ea support = yes" - curios if anyone tested it?
"ea support = yes" is a default in FreeNAS. I'm not a Mac user so I can't give any information other than to point at manpages.

Stux

MVP
Status
Not open for further replies.