CIFS files disappearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

WytseTalsma

Cadet
Hello,

In order to migrate our home network for a (large) part to open-source I've recently installed an freenas 8 system. It runs on 6GB ram and contains an 2TB (hardware-raid 1) ZFS volume with unix acls(AD joined) for user data. So far all good.
I've copied some data from the old windows fileserver to the new freenas system. I've noticed that some files went missing. In order to be reliable the nas should accept all data instead of just some of it, no matter what OS is used (mixed environment: windows + linux).
I went to the .recycle dir and found the missing files there. They're all 0kb in size while the original of course was bigger. When I tried to copy the files manually I got the message: 'Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties? The file .. has properties that can't be copied to the new location'. When I accept the file copies just fine.
This problem is independent from the computer I use: they all give the same result.
Copying the files trough an protocol other than CIFS/samba, like ftp, is not an option: the data I need to migrate are the homefolders of every one here using windows. When a user changes a document on their desktop and the new freenas system does not accept the change due to 'Property Loss'... Well, then freenas is not reliable enough for me ;)

So how to make my freenas installation reliable enough? Does somebody have an idea?

Oh I've had freenas 8.0.3-p1 and 8.0.4, both the same result.

Status
Not open for further replies.