CHECK MY BUILD / SUGGEST ONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asimov1973

Dabbler
Hello guys,

I would like to build my first nas (I have 20 years of experience in assembling PC's)

i will use FREENAS 9.1.1 X64 (or superior) and I was thinking to buy the following hardware:

(prices in euros)

INTER-TECH IPC 4U-4310L.............................................................................................219.33​
Asus Z87 PRO Motherboard Socket LGA 1150.................................................................. 167.98​
Seasonic SS-360GP 360W 80 Plus Gold PC-Netzteil (360 Watt, ATX 12V) ......................58,34​
Intel Celeron G3420 Processor Box (3200 MHz, L3-Cache, Sockel 1150) ........................59,95​
Twin Dual Gigabyte Gigabit PCI-Express LAN (PCI-E) Netzwerkkarte 10/100/1000... 29,95​
Samsung 840 Series Basic interne SSD-Festplatte 120GB.................................................. 85,89​
APC Back UPS ES 700VA 230V........................................................................................... 77,60​
TOTALDISKLESS NAS....................................................................................................... 699.04​
DISKS : Western Digital WD30EFRX Red 3TB 121.79 x 6 = ...........................................730.74​
TOTAL with DISKS ...........................................................................................................1429.78​
I will use the SSD for cache, The 6 disks they will be configured for RAIDZ2 and I want to use freenas as a NAS (duh :) ), video streamer (look my movies with xbmc installed on a pc) and I want to install OWNCLOUD​
1) I don't think to buy an IBM M1015 because I'm poor and I don't see the point​
2) I will never ever be in the condition to buy more than 6 discs because I'm poor :) so I don't need controllers and/or cases with more than 8 ports (6disk + ssd + maybe cd-rom)​
3) does FREENAS recognize the ASUS Z87 or is too much new?​
if you can propose to me something equivalent but cheaper I'll be thankful because I'm poor :))​
I live in Luxembourg so here there is nothing around except cows and drunk people.... I can't buy from newegg....I'm limited to buy from Amazon.de or other shops located in Germany/France/Belgium​

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
This is terrible.

You say nothing about what RAM/how much you'll be using, but it doesn't matter, since the Z87 Pro isn't even remotely good enough for a FreeNAS build, nor does it support ECC RAM, which is required for a stable FreeNAS ZFS build.

Sorry. But this build doesn't meet the minimum requirements for a FreeNAS as outlined in the guides and stickies.

Asimov1973

Dabbler
Thanks I was reading right now that I need ECC ...unfortunately I thught only now to read this foum after spending 2 days on amazon....
I will completely change my config even if I have already 16GB ddr3 1600 kingston that i wanted to use for this project......

can you suggest at least a rackable case with 8 x hotswap HDD ? It seems that I can find only 4 or 16.......

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I know what you mean about the RAM. I was sitting here, looking at 16GB of perfectly good RAM, wanting to use that in my FreeNAS build. I had to force myself to buy ECC RAM.

I actually use a Desktop computer case to hold my FreeNAS (the BitFenix Phenom M), so I don't have rackmount recommendations. But I am sure Cyberjock (if he reads this thread) would have one or two ideas.

Asimov1973

Dabbler
After a long search on Amazon and on this forum I found this!

Super Micro CSE-825TQ-563LPB Server Gehäuse 2U inkl. 560W (E-ATX, 8x 3,5 SAS/SATA, 2x USB) schwarz .......................... 357,70
Supermicro X10SAT ATX Socket H3 LGA 1150 8x SATA3 dual gigabit............................................................................................... 215,00
Intel Xeon E3-1220Lv2 Dual Core 2300MHz.........................................................................................................................................189,42
8GB DDR3-1600 2Rx8 ECC Un-Buffer LP PB-Free (HMT41GU7MFR8C-PB) x2 (16GB ECC).......................................................204,28
Samsung 840 Series Basic interne SSD-Festplatte 120GB........................................................................................................................85,89
APC Back UPS ES 700VA 230V.................................................................................................................................................................77,60

TOTAL DISKLESS NAS.......................................................................................................................................................................... 1129.89 EUROS

HUS724030ALA640.......(HITACHI 3TB HDD)....................... 239.14 x 4.............................................................................................956.56 EUROS

TOTAL WITH DISKS................................................................................................................................................................................ 2086.45 EUROS

Now I just need to add a 19" wallmount rack for 200 EUROS and for just 2200 EUROS (3000 DOLLARS!) I'll have a

Rackmounted DUALCORE with 6TB loud as an elicopter! mmmm......LLLLLLOVE IT.....! OR MAYBE NOT........considering that I'm looking for an Hotswap RAIDZ2 6TB or 8TB Total storage for less than 1000 Euros.......

I might better kill myself with this prices and buy a LACIE 4TB External (180 EUROS) and hope that it last more than 2 months....because with 3000 dollars I can buy one every two months over a period of 2 YEARS and throw the old one in the garbage and still I'm saving moneys.... WTF !?!!!!???!!!?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You can save 100 euros by going with a G3220, which should work in that board! lol

Asimov1973

Dabbler
:D

KMR

Contributor
First, I'm not sure why you would want to go with that case. You say you are on a budget so find a cheaper case. There are plenty of decent rackmount or PC desktop towers that are way lower in price than the one you have selected - although they aren't hot swap. Which brings me to my next point - why do you think you need hot swap bays? They are really only useful in high density applications which you don't have. Hopefully you won't be replacing drives every week so don't bother with hot swap bays. Find a $50 case that has good airflow and holds 6 drives and be done with it. Next: ditch the SSD. From what I can gather about your application it will serve you no purpose and may actually hurt your performance. Look around the forums for more information on this.

My suggestion is this: grab a supermicro board, a cheap dual core Pentium processor for it, ECC ram, a seasonic PSU, a UPS and call it a day. Add up those parts and bring back a price list. It will be considerably lower in price than what you have quoted there and it will serve you as good or better than the components you have selected.

Asimov1973

Dabbler
I already solved my problems alone (almost...) :)
check my post NAS 19" Supermicro 12TB under 1000

Thank you for your advices, unfortunately it's quite difficult in LUXEMBOURG to access at hardware. the nearest stores are in germany and it's easy to be charged 100-150€ for a 10kg case.

My choice of hardware needed to be based solely of what I can found on Amazon.de....as you can understand the choice that you can have on this kind of hardware doesn't compare with specialized shop. Moreover, it was my first build and I based myself on the "suggested hardware" that, in most cases, it's written by "extremists" that can't accept anything less than 40 Tb 10gb/sec for have the right to be called NAS....be an IT enthusiast myself with compulsory need to buy new hardware every month, it's easy to convince me that for store my torrents I ABSOLUTELY need server rated SAS disks with 2 XEON 6 cores 64 Gb of RAM hot swappable 12 x 4TB raidz3 otherwise I'm unworthy to breathe.

But being in the IT myself since 1987 and having 7 cisco certifications, I have a certain experience about what I wish and what I need.
Hope that you like my "NAS under 1000€" ! Bye

KMR

Contributor
Missed your other thread.. but as far as I can tell you have selected pretty much the exact components I suggested. On a side note it is basically the same build I have and it works great. Good luck to you!

Asimov1973

Dabbler
Thanks, for the moment I ordered the 4 disks and the case ( hope to receive them in 7-10 days) and tomorrow I will order MB, CPU and a small UPS that I found for around 80€...for sure it will perform better than my raspberry pi FTP, TFTP, bitcoin miner, XBMC Player and torrent "Server" :) all in one with 1tb 2.5" usb atached disk that, thanks to the 10/100 on the RPI,give me an "amazing" 5-7Mb/sec (enough anyway to playback movies at 720p) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.