Check for update

Bureaua

Explorer
Just installed TrueNAS. When I try to search for a software update, I get an error message to check my network connection?? looks like my server does not have access to the Internet. any idea how to fix?

Redcoat

MVP
Do you have ipv4 Gateway and Default Nameserver entered correctly in Network>Global Configuration?

Bureaua

Explorer
Do you have ipv4 Gateway and Default Nameserver entered correctly in Network>Global Configuration?
no. I have nothing. Not sure what my default gateway address is. Where do I find the Nameserver? Im new to this--thanks for your time

Redcoat

MVP
Your default gateway will be the address of your router on your local network.

For nameservers use the gateway address as one and try 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for the other two.

Bureaua

Explorer

For nameservers use the gateway address as one and try 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for the other two.
Thank You very much

Bureaua

Explorer

Ok this is working, but will my server be exposed to malicious virus and hacker by being open on the Internet. My server is plug into my router which has a firewall?

would appreciate your comments --Thank You

Redcoat

MVP
Your router is a hardware firewall protecting all the devices on your LAN. It is providing a range of private addresses to your LAN devices and translating traffic in and out of your router's public IP to the appropriate internal IP address. I expect that the gateway address you have for your LAN from your router is likely 192.168.1.1 or similar?

Last edited:

Bureaua

Explorer
Your router is a hardware firewall protecting all the devices on your LAN. It is providing a range of private addresses to your LAN devices and translating traffic in and out of your router's public IP to the appropriate internal IUP address. I expect that the gateway address you have for your LAN from your router is likely 192.168.1.1 or similar?
Yes it is

Redcoat

MVP