BUILD Cheapest (but reliable) hardware to run 36 bay backup server

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumitB

Dabbler
Hi All,

I am getting the following parts for my proposed 36 bay, multi-purpose freeNAS server:
Supermicro Server Motherboard X10SRI-F
Intel Xeon E5-1650V3
4 x 32 GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM 2133 MHz
10 x 6 TB WD RED
4 x LSI 9211-8i HBA Controllers
Supermicro Chassis CSE847E16-R1400LPB

These 10 drives will be in a single vdev and in RAID-Z2. I am starting with 10 but will add them, in lots of 10, when I need more space.

Now being as paranoid as I am, I am also thinking of getting a 2nd CSE847E16-R1400LPB just to serve as a backup to my main NAS. However, I don't want to spend much money on it but I plan to keep it at the equal no. of drives as the main server. So can you please advice me on the components I would need to run this? I would need a Supermicro motherboard and the cheapest possible processor for this. Don't need xeon and if a celeron can help me run this backup server, I'll gladly pick it up. It should have enough SATA ports and slots to accomodate the HBA controllers to run these 36 drives which will be connected to it in the future. RAM would be ECC but the minimum that I would need to run it.

I am planning that this backup server will come on post midnight. Do its backups. Do the scrub. Send me the necessary mails and shut down. If need be and if it is going to make things efficient, I am willing to put in a 10GBe card in both of these boxes.

When I say "cheapest" I mean in terms of up front cost as well as running costs. I am looking at 5 years or more from these two boxes unless something drastically changes.

Please don't flame me. Links (on the supermicro site) will be appreciated.

Fuganater

Patron
Why do you need 4 HBA cards? 1 or 2 should be more than enough to handle that chassis but I can't find a picture of what backplanes are in that chassis to confirm.

Pick any X9 or X10 system with 32GB RAM for your backup. Used on Ebay or a forum (Hardform/OCN) is a good place to save money. Don't go butt cheap on a backup solution. If you do, it is basically worthless then.

10GBe might be good for the initial backup but beyond that it unless you are creating/changing a crapton of data every day, otherwise it is a waste IMO.

You should leave the server on 24/7/365. Everything equipment will be much happier with less boot counts.

SumitB

Dabbler
Why do you need 4 HBA cards? 1 or 2 should be more than enough to handle that chassis but I can't find a picture of what backplanes are in that chassis to confirm.
I may be mistaken on the number of HBA controllers here. Basically, all the 36 bays will be active. The Supermicro Distributor in my country is assembling this for me and he is 2200 kms away.

Pick any X9 or X10 system with 32GB RAM for your backup. Used on Ebay or a forum (Hardform/OCN) is a good place to save money. Don't go butt cheap on a backup solution. If you do, it is basically worthless then.
Buying used server grade equipment is not something which we Indians can do. We have to buy from the distributors by paying the list prices.

10GBe might be good for the initial backup but beyond that it unless you are creating/changing a crapton of data every day, otherwise it is a waste IMO.
Good point. I'll skip the 10GBe adapters.

You should leave the server on 24/7/365. Everything equipment will be much happier with less boot counts.
I do agree that magnetic disks should be left running for as long as possible to increase their life but in this case, I am helpless. Cannot afford to run this server 24/7. I may not even have it backup everyday. Maybe once or twice a week.

Can you please provide me with some model nos of the motherboard and a compatible processor to start with?

Fuganater

Patron
Here is a good place to start. Read through and pick what fits you. Nothing super fast since it is only for storage but deff want it to be SM server grade gear if you are serious.

tvsjr

Guru
Tell the Supermicro vendor you want expander backplanes... my 847 with BPN-SAS2-846EL1 and 826EL1 runs happily with one 9211-8i, and even has room to grow via JBODs.

Watch eBay. I picked up the system in my sig, less processors and RAM, for $700.

SumitB

Dabbler
I picked up the system in my sig, less processors and RAM
Thank you. I have never seen a HBA in my life, let alone having used one. Now its clear.

On a side note, you are not using the internal hdd slots for your chassis? Any particular reason why? The chassis can take 2 adapters which each support 2 x 2.5 drives no?

tvsjr

Guru
The 847 is a 36-bay chassis... 24 in front, 12 in back. There isn't much room left after motherboard, power supplies, and PCIe. All of the drives, including boot and SLOG, are in drive trays.

Currently, I have:
Front bay 0-11 - 450GB 15K SAS
Front bay 12-17 - Free
Front bay 18-23 - 4TB 7.2K SAS
Rear bay 0-1 - 40GB SSD, boot
Rear bay 2-3 - 200GB SSD, SLOG
Rear bay 4 - 450GB 15K SAS (hotspare)
Rear bay 5 - 4 TB 7.2K SAS (hotspare)
Rear bay 6-11 - Free

If I really need the 4 slots back at some point, I could probably fabricate something to install the drives internally, but likely at a loss of most of the PCIe slots (only have one used right now - for the HBA). My long-term plans are to add a 6-disk SSD array, and perhaps another 6 6-8TB drives to the 7.2K pool... if I get beyond that, I'll just add a JBOD.

Fuganater

Patron
Thank you. I have never seen a HBA in my life, let alone having used one. Now its clear.

On a side note, you are not using the internal hdd slots for your chassis? Any particular reason why? The chassis can take 2 adapters which each support 2 x 2.5 drives no?
You could use the internal drive mounts for a SLOG or some SSD for your boot drives or for you Jails. I will end up using mine for 2x SSD for my jails eventually.

SumitB

Dabbler
The 847 is a 36-bay chassis... 24 in front, 12 in back. There isn't much room left after motherboard, power supplies, and PCIe. All of the drives, including boot and SLOG, are in drive trays.
As per the manual of the 847 from Supermicro's site, it says on page 5-6;
"The SC847 chassis includes brackets for installing either one 3.5" fixed hard drive, or two 2.5" fixed hard drives within the chassis. Each chassis can accommodate up to two internal drive brackets supporting up to two 3.5" hard drives or up to four 2.5" hard drives. The bracket part number is MCP-220-84701-0N."

So you would be better off going with the MCP-220-84701-oN bracket and freeing 4 of your hot swap drive bays. This is what I am also planning to do. I will get 2 x 120GB and 2 x 250GB SSDs for my boot drive and Jails/System Dataset.

You could use the internal drive mounts for a SLOG or some SSD for your boot drives or for you Jails. I will end up using mine for 2x SSD for my jails eventually.
This is exactly how I am planning the install.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
The cheapest solution would be an sc846 (or 847) jbod directly connected to an external hba port on your main server. Just do replication from 1am-2am and have the drives shut down after 5 minutes.

SumitB

Dabbler
The cheapest solution would be an sc846 (or 847) jbod directly connected to an external hba port on your main server. Just do replication from 1am-2am and have the drives shut down after 5 minutes.
This sounds interesting. Thanks. I will look it up and discuss with my supplier.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
This sounds interesting. Thanks. I will look it up and discuss with my supplier.
If it makes you feel better, I'm doing this currently and it works well. :smile: but I also have another backup system for physical separation.

tvsjr

Guru
As per the manual of the 847 from Supermicro's site, it says on page 5-6;
"The SC847 chassis includes brackets for installing either one 3.5" fixed hard drive, or two 2.5" fixed hard drives within the chassis. Each chassis can accommodate up to two internal drive brackets supporting up to two 3.5" hard drives or up to four 2.5" hard drives. The bracket part number is MCP-220-84701-0N."

So you would be better off going with the MCP-220-84701-oN bracket and freeing 4 of your hot swap drive bays. This is what I am also planning to do. I will get 2 x 120GB and 2 x 250GB SSDs for my boot drive and Jails/System Dataset.

Apparently these go under the motherboard tray. At this point, I have drive bays to spare... down the road, if I run out, good to know this is an option.

SumitB

Dabbler
Apparently these go under the motherboard tray. At this point, I have drive bays to spare... down the road, if I run out, good to know this is an option.
Yes, they indeed go under the motherboard tray.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-12-31 19.59.38.png
    Screenshot 2015-12-31 19.59.38.png
    208.5 KB · Views: 313
Status
Not open for further replies.