chasis \ lsi controller question

iliak

Contributor
i can order some servers with a good price:
these are the models
6027TR-DTRF+
6027TR-D71RF+
6027TR-D70RF+

does one of them work with freenass out of the box (one of the nodes) without custom lsi card?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I would opt for the 6027TR-D70RF+ over the 6027TR-D71RF+ (since the latter has the RAID variant rather than HBA).

I don't see anything specifically bad about the 6027TR-DTRF+ from a TrueNAS perspective either though.

iliak

Contributor
I would opt for the 6027TR-D70RF+ over the 6027TR-D71RF+ (since the latter has the RAID variant rather than HBA).

I don't see anything specifically bad about the 6027TR-DTRF+ from a TrueNAS perspective either though.
you think it will work without extra lsi card in the pci ?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
you think it will work without extra lsi card in the pci ?
Depends on how many disks you want to load it up with, but there are onboard SATA ports in all those, so that would be enough for it to work.

It seems from the manual (https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C606_602/MNL-1334.pdf) page 2-23 there is reference to the additional connector board which may pass the SATA ports through to the chassis bays.

I feel like Supermicro wouldn't sell a system with that many drive bays that couldn't support having disks in them.

iliak

Contributor
what i am trying to understand is that usually for freenass it is requires an UNRAID(lsi in IT\HBA mode), i used S2308L-L8e on my current build.
do i need to add another lsi card for this ?

sretalla