Changing CIFS to SMB 3 makes shares unusable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eniqmatic

Explorer
Just wondered if anyone else had experience this or if I was doing something stupid/obvious!

When I go into the CIFS settings and change the maximum SMB level to 3/3_00, whilst leaving the minimum at level 2_10 (Windows 7), it makes all CIFS shares unuseable and gives me an error message of:

"An extended error occurred"

Whenever I try to browse to the machine. Setting the maximum back to 2.24 fixes this. I've tried accessing it from both a Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2 machine both supporting SMB 3. This happens on Windows 7 too.

Anyone experienced this before?

Attachments

• SMB3.PNG
    SMB3.PNG
    5.6 KB · Views: 299

Eniqmatic

Explorer
Yup, that's expected. From http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_services.html#cifs:

Note: Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 use SMB3.02 which is not yet supported by Samba.

Thanks for the quick reply!

But shouldn't they be able to be backwards compatible? I.E the Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 machines are connecting OK when I set it to SMB 2, so shouldn't they still work OK when setting it to 3? Hope that makes sense!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks for the quick reply!

But shouldn't they be able to be backwards compatible? I.E the Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 machines are connecting OK when I set it to SMB 2, so shouldn't they still work OK when setting it to 3? Hope that makes sense!
Ideally.

Samba is a miracle. It's a miracle because it does something important and very difficult and it's a miracle because nobody really understands every single little interaction - and the bleeding edge does tend to cause some bleeding.

Eniqmatic

Explorer
Ideally.

Samba is a miracle. It's a miracle because it does something important and very difficult and it's a miracle because nobody really understands every single little interaction - and the bleeding edge does tend to cause some bleeding.
Indeed!

It's no big deal anyways, I guess more curiosity than anything else and wondering if anyone else had experience a similar problem or if there was something else that needed to be done! I'll give it a go in the next update to FreeNAS :)

Status
Not open for further replies.