SMB/CIFS shares disconnect for about 30 seconds every time I delete a file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieter Toews

Dabbler
Hello great and wise freenas forum.

I'm been updated to FN11 for about 4 weeks now and, for about 2 of those, I've been seeing a very strange problem:
  1. I'll delete an arbitrary file.
  2. The share will disconnect.
  3. if the client is windows 7 or 10 the share will reconnect after about 30 seconds. If client is mac os x I'll lose the connection till i manually reconnect.
  4. once it reconnects it shows that what ever i tried to delete has been successfully deleted.
writing files works fine. I don't often delete files so i didn't notice / think anything of the problem at 1st.

If it is important i've got freenas connected to active directory (samba ontop of zentyal actually)

searching this forum and duck-duck-go for "freenas smb shares disconnect when i delete a file" doesn't lead me to an obvious answer. [edit] for reference here are a few of the hits i did get:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-cant-delete-file-or-folders-sometimes.24777/
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/another-active-directory-smb-issue.59004/

so far I've tried downgrading from smb 3 to smb 2 (smb 3 was working fine for me on FN9.10) - no luck.

I've verified that the datasets for my two shares are set to windows permissions.

this evening ill dig into the logs and my samba.conf and post them here unless someone points out something blindly obvious that I've missed.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hardware specs and network setup?

Dieter Toews

Dabbler
back to civilaztion after being away for a little longer than expected...

@SweetAndLow i was slightly confused by your request at 1st, my hardware specs are in my "signature", but i realized that you might be on the mobile site where you can't see that stuff...

any way my freenas box is:

X7-super micro MB
2x Xeon L5408
64GB RAM
Prec H310 (lsi 9220-8i)
8x Hitachi Ultrastar sata 2TB in raidz2

i've got a qaud nic setup in a lagg config. i use a 24 port 1gb hp switch.

my network is a simple 192.168.x.x /24 setup although I've been meaning to learn about vlans enough to separate my management network from my daily use net.

Dieter Toews

Dabbler

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Also see if the problem reproduces without the lagg. 90% of people setup lagg incorrectly.

Dieter Toews

Dabbler
ok i'll add that to my list that though i will point out that all was working great for ~9 months before i updated out of freenas 9.10.x. eh it's worth trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.