Change Transmission's User

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOX

Dabbler
Hello FreeNAS Community,

My name is Christopher and I have been reading these forums a lot as of late, because I just built my first economy NAS box and am learning to use this wonderful software. I have been looking everywhere, on and off this forum, for the solution to my problem, but I cannot seem to locate a solution.

I am attempting to setup an automated RSS feed based torrent downloader and organizer; using Transmission for my bittorrent client and FlexGet as my RSS feed parser. Currently I have a pluginjail created with Transmission's pbi uploaded to it.

What I am looking to do is simply change the user that the transmission-daemon runs under. Currently it is running under the user transmission, which I'm assuming the pbi created.

Please note that before any attempts I have made I shutdown the transmission service both by the interface and the command "service transmission onestop". I attempted to edit the files below by inserting some form of "transmission_user="media"" into them, but once the service was turned back on every line I wrote was erased (with exception, in which case it just didn't work*)
  • /etc/rc.conf
  • /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/tweak-rcconf
  • /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/rc.conf
  • /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/rc.d/transmission*
Any guidance or assistance in the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all for your time, and I hope that everyone has a great day!

TL;DR I am looking for a way to change the user that Transmission uses to run. Thank you!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Using the current transmission plugin you should put this in /etc/rc.conf.local
/etc/rc.conf is overwritten by the plugin.

You may me aware of this but you'll also need to..
  • make sure alternative user is available on the transmission jail
  • recursively change ownership of your conf directory to this user (/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission by default)

NOX

Dabbler
Thank you very much for your assistance!

I'm pretty sure this must be your blog, which I found the answer in last night while reading in bed. Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.