Certificate expired

Phil Demand

Dabbler
Hi all-
I'm getting a critical alert when I login to the TrueNAS web GUI that says

Certificate 'freenas_default' has expired​

I don't know what this means, why it's happening, or how to resolve it. My machine appears to be operating as normal.
Details I'm aware of:
version 12.0-U8.1
SuperMicro board with a core i3 chip and 16gb of ecc ram
4-disk pool totaling 8tb
Virtual machine running ubuntu server
Plex server
Machine has been running for years, and I'm not deep enough into this community or the granular operation of TrueNAS to even know or understand what a certificate is or does, and I don't recall a certificate being a part of setting up this server, as long ago as it was.

Is this something I need to address, and if so, what do I do?

My recollection there was one certificate authority (GoDaddy?) that had their root certificate compromised, which I think iXsystems uses.

Have you considered upgrading to 13.0-U2, which will have a new certificate?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is this something I need to address
Not really. TrueNAS creates a default, self-signed TLS certificate when you install it. All TLS certificates have a set lifespan, and yours has expired. If this were causing you any problems (i.e., certificate errors when logging into the web GUI), you'd want to replace this cert--either create a new one through the GUI or upload one from another source. But if it isn't otherwise causing you problems, you can safely ignore this alert. More details on creating a new cert here:
My recollection there was one certificate authority (GoDaddy?) that had their root certificate compromised, which I think iXsystems uses.
Nothing at all to do with this; this is about the self-signed cert that's created when you first install Free/TrueNAS. Upgrading will not affect this error; the cert is part of the system configuration.