Cause of "kernel: ZFS WARNING: Unable to create ZVOL"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toadman

Guru
Hi,

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this issue with the keywords I used. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a main server running FN9.1 RELEASE that does backup to a system also running FN9.1 with the replication scripts. (Note: Everything worked fine on 8.3.1.)

Now, I get the following output in the log on the backup server for each of 3 ZVOLs that are replicated.
"[timestamp] [servername] kernel: ZFS WARNING: Unable to create ZVOL [pool]/[dataset] (error=17)."

The normal datasets show no messages. When I check the backup system the datasets and zols, and associated snapshots for each data all seem to be there. No errors reported by the pool, etc. I will try replicating a ZVOL back to the main server when I get a chance.

I am not sure what error=17 means, hence my question. Can anyone point me to either a reference on that error or suggest some other logs I might look at to further diagnose?

Thank you!

gmar_87

Cadet
I also started getting this error since 9.1.
Just upgraded to 9.1.1 release and error still logged after successful ZFS replication.
I have confirmed the replicated volume is ok.

toadman

Guru
Yep, I'm getting it in 9.1.1 as well. In my case the replications seem to be working as well.

Odd that I can't find any docs referencing error 17.

toadman

Guru
It's back in 9.10. Updated the bug report. Will file against 9.10 if I see it again overnight.

J

jkh

It's back in 9.10. Updated the bug report. Will file against 9.10 if I see it again overnight.
It's a cosmetic message that was removed in 9.3. Before it gets removed again, we're looking deeper to see why it was even there to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.