Case + PS airflow (Norco RPC-230) [PS recommendation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maturola

Explorer
Hi,

Not a 100% related with FreeNAS but it is what the case is being use for.

Coworker is having severe thermal issues with the Norco RPC-230, he is running 4 disk 5400rpms and they are overheating, when I check up his box I noticed that his power supply (as mot modern ATX power supply) have the intake fan in the bottom (it may be the top, not sure) and it is being blocked by the case. it seen that the case actually use the PS as main Pusher of air into the case.

This as you may imagine cause lot of heating issues with his supply and the disks.

Have anyone use these case (or similar) and have a power supply recommendation that have Front-to-back Air flow? (Supported supply is standard ATX size)

Thanks

PS: my other idea is to make some holes in the case to let Air in, but we would like to avoid that if at all possible.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
One possibility is reversing one of the 80mm fans in the front, so that one is intake, one is exhaust.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hi,

Not a 100% related with FreeNAS but it is what the case is being use for.

Coworker is having severe thermal issues with the Norco RPC-230, he is running 4 disk 5400rpms and they are overheating, when I check up his box I noticed that his power supply (as mot modern ATX power supply) have the intake fan in the bottom (it may be the top, not sure) and it is being blocked by the case. it seen that the case actually use the PS as main Pusher of air into the case.

This as you may imagine cause lot of heating issues with his supply and the disks.

Have anyone use these case (or similar) and have a power supply recommendation that have Front-to-back Air flow? (Supported supply is standard ATX size)

Thanks

PS: my other idea is to make some holes in the case to let Air in, but we would like to avoid that if at all possible.

They don't make much stuff with 80mm PSU fans anymore. You'll have to look for OEM parts from Seasonic or Delta. And I'm not sure it'll do much to help. Can you post a picture of the setup so we can have an idea of what's going on?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Norco really isn't designed to be a great product. They are cheap, and that's about as far as it goes. I even have a rather long thread involving my trials and tribulations with Norco. Got a supermicro chassis sitting in my living room because I've had it with Norcos.

If you want more cooling you are better off looking at buying better fans. I bought Supermicro 80mm fans and put those in my case. They can be found for cheap on ebay ($10-15 each). The 'spec' for rack is front -> back or let -> right for proper cooling.

You really have few options with that chassis... put in better fans, drill holes, or get a better chassis.

There is a reason why that 'rackmount' chassis is $65 on Newegg. It's for people that don't know better or have very low powered hardware (like atoms). Anything else is basically totally inappropriate.

Someone a while back mentioned some other Norco case (may or may not have been the one we are discussing), but Norco told him the rated heat dissipation for the chassis was 35w peak (or something stupidly low). LOL. It's poor engineering too because 4 hard drives can use almost that much when idle. Nevermind anything else being in there.

Maturola

Explorer
Thank you everyone ...

Norco really isn't designed to be a great product. They are cheap, and that's about as far as it goes. I even have a rather long thread involving my trials and tribulations with Norco. Got a supermicro chassis sitting in my living room because I've had it with Norcos.

If you want more cooling you are better off looking at buying better fans. I bought Supermicro 80mm fans and put those in my case. They can be found for cheap on ebay ($10-15 each). The 'spec' for rack is front -> back or let -> right for proper cooling.

You really have few options with that chassis... put in better fans, drill holes, or get a better chassis.

There is a reason why that 'rackmount' chassis is $65 on Newegg. It's for people that don't know better or have very low powered hardware (like atoms). Anything else is basically totally inappropriate.

Someone a while back mentioned some other Norco case (may or may not have been the one we are discussing), but Norco told him the rated heat dissipation for the chassis was 35w peak (or something stupidly low). LOL. It's poor engineering too because 4 hard drives can use almost that much when idle. Nevermind anything else being in there.

Yes Sir, @cyberjock this is a basic home setup with an Atom board. We are not arguing that the case is "cheap".

I was just wondering if anyone had similar issue and what PS they are using.

I found this one from seasonic SS-500ES, should do the job nicely.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151079

Thanks

Edit: I just found this one with better reviews.
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I wouldn't buy a 500w power supply for an Atom. Might have power problems if your loading isn't at least 10% of the PSUs rated capacity.

Maturola

Explorer
I wouldn't buy a 500w power supply for an Atom. Might have power problems if your loading isn't at least 10% of the PSUs rated capacity.
Good point, thank I'll keep in mind, with the 4 drives we should put it above its 10% load.

I'm liking the Antic better so far, it have good review (500+ on newegg) and more people seen to be using it

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Good point, thank I'll keep in mind, with the 4 drives we should put it above its 10% load.

I wouldn't bet on it. My FreeNAS mini idles below 40 watts and it has 4 drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.