Carbon Copy Cloner can't save to Sparse Image File unless share has "Time Machine" checked

BlueBoy

Cadet
I'm trying to figure out an odd configuration issue and what to do about it.

I like to use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC hereafter) to back up my Macs to my server running TrueNAS CORE 13.0-U3. I have a pool called Syl and a dataset called backups and then a dataset for each computer under that so I am trying to back up to:

/mnt/Syl/backups/macmini​
/mnt/Syl/backups/macbook-pro​

I used to have CCC back up to a sparsebundle disk image which it was happy to create and update on the server years ago, iirc. It has beetn failing on disk image creation and updates for a while now. I have also tested this behavior on my newer server running TrueNAS SCALE 22.02.4 and its behavior is identical.

To reproduce this I created a new dataset with the default options and share type set to "SMB". Next I set permissions so my group "shareusers" has "Full Control". Then I created a share using "Default share parameters". I can create & delete folders and files it seems without issue on this share but when CCC tries to create the sparsebundle it seems to start (the Finder shows the image briefly) but then it fails saying that it couldn't create the image.

If I then change the share's purpose to "No presets" (which keeps its previous settings as far as I can tell but lets me modify them) and check "Time Machine" then CCC happily creates the disk image and successfully backs up. I also tested sparsebundle image creation using Disk Utility and it, too, exhibits this same behavior, only working when "Time Machine" is checked.

So I guess my questions are these: What does the setting "Time Machine" actually do? What samba options are changed over the default behavior? I would like to know because I don't want the share to show up as a Time Machine backup target, if possible. Is there some other setting I am missing?

Thanks in advance to any community members who can help! I have tried to search here on the forums, in the TrueNAS docs and on google but my search-fu is failing me.