capped ad 113MBytes

henqbleom

Dabbler
hi my server capps ad 113 MBytes writing speed. does anyone know what could be the problem?
the hardware that i use for my server is:
rog strix b550 - gaming (Intel® I225-V 2.5Gb Ethernet)
32gb ram from corsair (3600mhz)
ryzen 5600g cpu
2 Seagate HDD NAS 3.5" 4TB ST4000VN008 Ironwolf
1 samsung ssd boot.

the pc that i use to transfer files from to the nas exist of:
msi b550 gaming edge wifi (1x Realtek® RTL8125B 2.5G LAN)
16gb corsair ram (3200mhz)
ryzen 5 3700 cpu

i put a StarTech.com 1 poorts gigabit ethernet (Intel® I210-AT) in my pc that i want to transfer files from to my server.
i ran iperf3 but got the same results as without the Intel® I210-AT. I use a netgearGS180 switch capable of 1000 Mbits.
some how i am not getting the ful transfer speed. if i transfer files from the pc to another disk on the pc i get more speed then to the server.
iperf3 nas test.png

these are my disk settings
disk options.png

im very new to truenas so i dont know how to run all the tests that i need. if you need more information i am happy to provide.
thanks for the help

Last edited:

Nick2253

Wizard
I think you might be having a unit problem here.

MBps is different than Mbps is different than mbps. Ditto GBps is different from Gbps. Little "b" is bits, big "B" is bytes.

A 1Gbps (gigabit per second) network card usually can transfer data around 110 MBps (megabytes per second). In theory, 1 Gbps is exactly 128 MBps, however there is some network overhead that causes the actual transfer speed to be different.

Look at the first screenshot you posted. Your 1Gbps network link is providing bandwidth of right around 0.95Gbps, which delivers about 113MB/s. That's just about what I'd expect.

Edit to add:
if i transfer files from the pc to another disk on the pc i get more speed then to the server.
I'm not sure why you would expect this to be different. Two different disks on the same computer are usually connected by at least SATA2 speeds (3Gbps), and if they are NVMe drives, around 10 times that. In other words, many multiples of what a 1Gbps NIC is capable of.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
hi my server capps ad 113 mbps writing speed. does anyone know what could be the problem?

Yes, you are failing to understand proper capitalization and abbreviations. Please review the Terminology and Abbreviations Primer at

after which, when you reinspect what you've posted, you will notice that you are getting 113 MBytes/sec, not 113 megabits per second (which is what "mbps" means), and the 940 megabits per second being reported is a fine result indeed for crappy Realtek ethernet NICs being run through a 1Gbps switch.

henqbleom

Dabbler
Yes, you are failing to understand proper capitalization and abbreviations. Please review the Terminology and Abbreviations Primer at

after which, when you reinspect what you've posted, you will notice that you are getting 113 MBytes/sec, not 113 megabits per second (which is what "mbps" means), and the 940 megabits per second being reported is a fine result indeed for crappy Realtek ethernet NICs being run through a 1Gbps switch.
thanks for the awnser. so if i were to change anything it should be the switch?

henqbleom

Dabbler
I think you might be having a unit problem here.

MBps is different than Mbps is different than mbps. Ditto GBps is different from Gbps. Little "b" is bits, big "B" is bytes.

A 1Gbps (gigabit per second) network card usually can transfer data around 110 MBps (megabytes per second). In theory, 1 Gbps is exactly 128 MBps, however there is some network overhead that causes the actual transfer speed to be different.

Look at the first screenshot you posted. Your 1Gbps network link is providing bandwidth of right around 0.95Gbps, which delivers about 113MB/s. That's just about what I'd expect.

Edit to add:

I'm not sure why you would expect this to be different. Two different disks on the same computer are usually connected by at least SATA2 speeds (3Gbps), and if they are NVMe drives, around 10 times that. In other words, many multiples of what a 1Gbps NIC is capable of.
thanks for you're awnser

Nick2253

Wizard
Don't take this the wrong way, but the first thing that I would suggest changing is the units in your post. It's good practice to use precise technical language, especially when troubleshooting technical problems, and that will help you be more clear about exactly what your issue is, and what outcome you're trying to achieve.

After you have everything updated precisely, then I'd invite you to restate your problem, so we can help you fix exactly whatever it is you are dealing with.

henqbleom

Dabbler
Don't take this the wrong way, but the first thing that I would suggest changing is the units in your post. It's good practice to use precise technical language, especially when troubleshooting technical problems, and that will help you be more clear about exactly what your issue is, and what outcome you're trying to achieve.

After you have everything updated precisely, then I'd invite you to restate your problem, so we can help you fix exactly whatever it is you are dealing with.
no harsh feelings, happy to learn. i think i changed it correctly now

AdrianB1

Dabbler
If you want faster transfers, changing the switch to 2.5 Gbps will increase your network speed by 2.5 times because you already have 2.5 Gbps network in both computers. Such a switch is around $200.

If you want even more, you need new network cards, switch and possibly cabling (at 10 Gbps you can use UTP, fiber or something called DAC). A pair of 10 Gbps network cards is less than $100 brand new on eBay (Melanox ConnectX-3), a couple of DAC are $25 (fs.com), a switch with 2 10 Gbps ports and 8 ports at 1 Gbps is $100 (Mikrotik CSS610-8G-2S+IN). That makes a total of $225, just a bit more than the previous option of 2.5 Gbps for 4 times the performance.