Can't write to shared folder

csanii

Cadet
Not sure if I missed a step or misconfigured something along the way.
I have TrueNAS Core v13.0-U5.3 installed.
I created a storage pool called "test".
I created a userid and assigned it to the "builtin_users" group.
I created an SMB share called testshare and mounted it as /mnt/test
I enabled the sharing service and I can mount the share on my Win11 v22H2 64 Bit machine.
I use the userid/passwd I created to open the share.
I can open the share BUT I can't write anything to the share.
I get the attached Windows popup error message.
If I look at the properties of the share it shows the items in the attached pictures P1 and P2
Any idea what step I missed/messed up on ?

Thanks in advance....

Attachments

• Error.png
    Error.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 101
  • P1.png
    P1.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 97
  • P2.png
    P2.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 98
I created a storage pool called "test".
I created an SMB share called testshare and mounted it as /mnt/test

Don't share the path of the top-level root dataset.

Consider the top-level root dataset as a "decorative symbolic keychain holder". Don't save anything to it. Don't point it to a share. Don't use it for anything special.

csanii

Cadet
THANK YOU!!!
I have been puzzling over this for hours...re-reading all the docs, scanning the forums.... trying to find what setting was wrong or what step I missed.
I still can't believe the solution was to not share the top level but to just create a subfolder and share that from the pool.
Does sharing from a sublevel allow for more services or storage management flexibility rather than sharing from top level ?
I am sure there must be a reason but I can't think of what it might be.....

I always assumed that the GUI would warn you if you tried. (I just checked, and it does not.)

I still can't believe the solution was to not share the top level but to just create a subfolder and share that from the pool.
No no no! Created a child dataset. Don't get folders and datasets confused.

Does sharing from a sublevel allow for more services or storage management flexibility rather than sharing from top level ?
I am sure there must be a reason but I can't think of what it might be.....
Because messing with the ownerships and permissions of the root dataset can break things further down. (And it was a source of massive confusion in earlier versions of TrueNAS.) So they outright removed the ability to change the permissions of the root dataset using the GUI. And because of this, it is not a feasible, nor recommended way of saving files and sharing via services.