Can't understand documentation on sharing. Which permission type to set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spacemarine

Contributor
It seems I have a problem understanding the documentation, even after reading it many times. Under 10.4.1.3 Is says: "“Mode”: check the “write” checkbox for the “Group” as it is unchecked by default"
http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_sharing.html#share-configuration

However, since I am configuring a Windows (CIFS) share, I set the permission type to "windows", but this prevents me from clicking the "write" checkbox, since all the checkboxes are greyed out.

Or is it not recommended to the the permission type to "windows"? If so, why not? And in which cases am I supposed to do that? What are the differences? I wasn't able to find a definitive answer to that.

D

dlavigne

That section will be updated in the next few days.

Basically, if you're creating a CIFS share, make a dataset type of Windows, use the Windows permissions type (which sets the correct default values), and change the permissions as needed using the windows client after connecting to the share. BTW, if you use the Wizard to create a Windows share, it does all of this for you :smile:

marian78

Patron
hi, i dont want spam this thread. Can i ask, how to setup from client windows machine if i have in dataset over 4 TB (milions) files ?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
hi, i dont want spam this thread. Can i ask, how to setup from client windows machine if i have in dataset over 4 TB (milions) files ?
Well, last time I had to add some ACEs to a dataset like that, I just set it to run and let it go over the weekend. Alternatively you can use find and setfacl from the CLI. I.e. something like
"find <path> -type f --exec setfacl <parameters> {} ;\"
and
"find <path> -type d --exec setfacl <parameters> {} ;\"

Do that with some care as there is a chance you will totally nuke your permissions. Maybe we should put in a feature request to add a GUI tool to fine-tune ACLs server-side? :)

marian78

Patron
thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.