Can't see network shares any more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanstronian

Dabbler
Hi folks,

I've noticed this morning that my network shares to my FreeNAS box are now showing as disconnected. The physical connections seems okay as I can still access the server's IPMI configuration (a different IP address but the same NIC), but I can't see any shares and my http connection to the server login times out.

I've reset my laptop (which I'm using to access the server), my router, and the server itself. No joy.

Any ideas, before I haul the server out of its little nook and start connecting keyboard and monitor? It was working last weekend, for what that's worth. Other hard-wired devices are accessible just fine.

Pinging the server results in "Destination host unreachable." Pretty sure I had a static IP assigned - I've cycled the router on any number of occasions without the IP changing. In any case, I don't see a new IP in my ARP table so it seems like it's just dropped off the face of the earth.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Please post your system specs, be complete such as are the Ethernet ports part of the motherboard or are you using an add-on card, this is needed since you are having a connectivity issue.

Since you have IPMI you should be able to use the remote console and see what is on the server screen. If you have a USB Flash drive as a boot device, it could be corrupt. Hey, I'm just guessing at his point but we will need more details. Post the output of dmesg as well. Can you SSH into your FreeNAS, assuming you have SSH enabled?

Last edited by a moderator:

wanstronian

Dabbler
Thanks Joe,

The motherboard is an ASRock C2550D4I with 16Mb of ECC memory. Five 2Tb Western Digital WD20EFRX drives in RAID Z3 config. The Ethernet port is on the motherboard.

I am booting from a USB drive so the idea of corruption sounds quite likely - that hadn't occurred to me!

The IPMI remote console function downloads a .jnlp file but when I try and open it I get an error starting Java. SSH was enabled, but as I can't see the server on the network I can't SSH in.

I think it's clear that I need to hook it up to monitor and keyboard to see what's actually happening! I was just hoping that there might be something obvious that I'd forgotten.

Thanks for your advice, I'll let you know what I find out.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The IPMI remote console function downloads a .jnlp file but when I try and open it I get an error starting Java. SSH was enabled, but as I can't see the server on the network I can't SSH in.
If you are using FireFox then try any other web browser where Java works. I ran into this problem when FireFox stopped supporting Java.

Also, if you do have a static IP and if your server is running, you may be able to SSH into it but only if you know the IP of course.

Good luck, and if you find out the USB Flash drive is toast, see if you can replace it with a small SSD, you will enjoy the fact that it will not fail while you are running FreeNAS. And you only need one boot device.

Cheers!

Redcoat

MVP
If you are using FireFox then try any other web browser where Java works. I ran into this problem when FireFox stopped supporting Java.

Depending on your Java version you may find this thread helpful (no browser works for me on my C2750D4I without).

The other common issue with these (pre-2017) boards is discussed here.

wanstronian

Dabbler
I'm using Chrome, it still tries to download a file which Java then won't run because it's unsigned. I'll try an earlier version!

I've connected a monitor but there's no signal when I turn the box on. The ASRock have VGA disabled by default, you have to plug an Ethernet into the IPMI port to get a signal, I remember this from when I set the machine up. Only this time that isn't working and I can't get any POST on-screen. It might be that the MOBO is screwed I guess - it was the only ECC-compatible board I could afford. However the IPMI is not showing any events that might indicate a MOBO failure.

I know the IP but it's not responding to ping.

Unfortunately I've run out of time to diagnose until next weekend as I work away during the week!

Thanks for your help.

wanstronian

Dabbler
Depending on your Java version you may find this thread helpful (no browser works for me on my C2750D4I without).

The other common issue with these (pre-2017) boards is discussed here.

Thanks Redcoat, I've downloaded but don't have time to try it now until next weekend.

I did read some negative reports on the ASRock boards, but it was the only Mini-ITX board that handled ECC memory at the time. The board is about two years old now, which anecdotally seems to be the point at which they start to fail unless you're lucky.

So maybe I need to replace the board for a different brand, which may also mean different case etc.

I'll report back here when/if I get somewhere!

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Good Luck!

Redcoat

MVP
So maybe I need to replace the board for a different brand, which may also mean different case etc.

Many of us here in this forum got replacement boards under warranty after failure - I suggest that you follow this up with AsRock ASAP as what you report seems to represent the typical failure response of the system. I hope that you will be successful. If you follow the several threads you will see that this is not all on AsRock - Intel owns a piece, too.

wanstronian

Dabbler
Well, I've had an initially positive response from ASRock tech support, so fingers crossed!

Redcoat

MVP
Good! Most reports here were of fair treatment so I hope you find the same.

wanstronian

Dabbler
Hi all,

Quick update: I had a good email exchange with ASRock customer services, which resulted in me RMAing the board. (it took a couple of weeks as I work away during the week). I sent the old board back last Friday, and a nice shiny replacement has just arrived!

So kudos to ASRock for such a quick and easy turn-around. Hopefully I'll find the time this weekend to reinstall everything and I'll let you know how it goes.

wanstronian

Dabbler
Well, it took a little longer than I hoped to find the time to reinstall the motherboard. I did it this morning and I have partial success! I now get a boot screen.

The problem I have now is that when I boot from my USB stick I get this:

GRUB loading..
Welcome to GRUB!

Error: no such device: 16661dfba54ba191
Entering rescue mode...
Grub rescue>

So I assume something about my USB boot device is corrupt. I'm happy to spend some time reading up on this, but can anyone point me in the right direction? I've Googled it but there seems to be lots of different opinions so I thought I'd ask here.

One question up front though - if I end up reinstalling my boot device, presumably I'll still be able to see the content on my disk array, as long as I remember my previous root password?

Thanks
W

Redcoat

MVP
Glad you most of the way up again!
Download FreeeNAS and make a new USB install stick, install to a fresh USB stick, all following the manual's instructions for a new install. Once new version up and running, load your old configuration file (if you saved it) from "General" "Upload Config". If you didn't, you'll have to reconfigure.

wanstronian

Dabbler
Hi Redcoat,

Success! Re-installed to a fresh USB, am now in the web interface trying to remember how I had everything set up last time :smile:

Thanks very much for your help, and Happy New Year to you!

Cheers
W

Redcoat

MVP
Hi Redcoat,

Success! Re-installed to a fresh USB, am now in the web interface trying to remember how I had everything set up last time :)

Thanks very much for your help, and Happy New Year to you!

Cheers
W
Very good! And a Happy New Year to you, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.