SOLVED Can't replace boot pool USB drive. Exception thrown.

angelus249

Dabbler
Hi,
one of my boot pool USB drives failed. I couldn't buy the exact same type, since it's 5 years old, but I bought the succeeding model, "same" size. In fact, the new flash drive is slightly bigger, as shown in the GUI (28.64 GB [old] vs. 28.65 GB [new]).
truenas_2.png

When I try to replace the faulted drive in the System->Boot section though, I can select the proper new device da7, but after clicking "Submit" an exception is thrown and the operation is canceled. I did wipe the flash drive using the GUI. Tried both "Quick" and also he full format "Fill with Zeros". Nothing changed.
truenas_1.png

1635161524887.png

truenas_3.PNG

The "More info..." section says:
Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 138, in call_method
    result = await self.middleware._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=self,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1205, in _call
    return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 973, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/boot.py", line 139, in replace
    await self.middleware.call('boot.format', dev, format_opts)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1248, in call
    return await self._call(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1205, in _call
    return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 973, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/boot_/format.py", line 118, in format
    raise CallError(
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] newfs_msdos -F 16 /dev/da7p1 failed:
newfs_msdos: /dev/da7p1: Operation not permitted

Anyone got an idea what to do? I'm getting itchy without a redundancy.

Cheers.

Oh, btw, I run TrueNAS 12.0 U5.1. I don't wanna run any upgrades, while just the one boot drive is installed.
1635161727876.png

An alternative approach:
  1. Back up your config.
  2. Do a fresh install of TrueNAS to new boot media.
  3. Restore your config.
  4. Mirror to a second identical stick.
As long as you haven't overwritten the original boot drive, you can always revert to using it if you get stuck at any step.

angelus249

Dabbler
Huh, yeah. I would've hoped to avoid that. But ofc I haven't overwritten the working/original boot drive. I'm guarding it like gold :D And I've also taken a current backup, as soon as the other drive failed.

Well, I'll wait a bit, maybe someone knows what to do. Otherwise I'll do as suggested.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
For the new drive, try a quick wipe (which deletes the partition table), and then try the mirror process again. The newfs_msdos may have failed because it detected an existing FAT32 partition, and it was trying to add a FAT16 partition in that same partition.

sretalla