Can't remove destroyed pool?

Fish

Contributor
Hi all,

I'm decommissioning a pool and selling the drives off. In the CLI, I did a zpool destroy purple which succeeded - the pool was no longer listed in zpool list. In the TrueNAS UI, I then went to export the pool but after I click export and check "Confirm Export/Disconnect" I get this error:

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 355, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 391, in __run_body
    rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 981, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 1608, in export
    disks = [i async for i in await self.middleware.call('pool.get_disks', oid)]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 1608, in <listcomp>
    disks = [i async for i in await self.middleware.call('pool.get_disks', oid)]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 1059, in get_disks
    disk_path = os.path.join('/dev', d['devname'])
KeyError: 'devname'

I figured the pool would disappear after I removed the drives, so I powered down the NAS, removed them, and booted back up. The purple pool is still listed in the UI now as "LOCKED" - it was geli-encrypted. The same error as above shows when I try to export/disconnect from the UI.

Any ideas?

tprelog

Patron
This won't be helpful now, but I believe the correct way to do this would have been to export/destroy the pool using the GUI, not the CLI.

Fish

Contributor
This won't be helpful now, but I believe the correct way to do this would have been to export/destroy the pool using the GUI, not the CLI.
Yeah that occurred to me after I did it.

What is the version you are running? Latest stable?

Please file a bug report if so.
I'm running TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1 CORE. Is it worth opening a bug report since IX announced they are discontinuing CORE?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Yeah that occurred to me after I did it.

I'm running TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1 CORE. Is it worth opening a bug report since IX announced they are discontinuing CORE?
iXsystems is not discontinuing CORE. CORE is still supported, its just that bleeding edge features are first implemented in SCALE. 13.3 will be going out with many bug fixes.

Fish

Contributor
Huh, the bug report was closed as a duplicate of NAS-127095 but Jira says I don't have access to view that issue. So I have no clue if this has been fixed in the next version or what ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fish

Contributor
Anyone have any idea how I can get TrueNAS to "forget" about this pool now?

Edit 2024-04-08:
It appears the Truenas forums are moving and I can no longer post new replies to this thread so I'll edit this one. At the suggestion of subnetspider in my DMs I was able to create a temporary pool with the same name and then destroy it through the UI. I used sparse files:

Code:
# for FAKE_DISK in disk1.img disk2.img
do
    dd if=/dev/zero of=`pwd`/$FAKE_DISK bs=1M count=100
done
# zpool create purple /root/disk1.img /root/disk2.img

Last edited: