Cant mount disconnected (degraded - no ZIL) pool using "zpool mount" ...

TrumanHW

Contributor
I screwed something up again and accidentally swapped a ZIL (I'd disabled sync anyway) ... but bc zpool import didn't work I tried disconnecting the zpool in the GUI thinking that might help ... now when I try

sudo zpool import -m IBM80

It responds with:
cannot import 'IBM80' : a pool with that name already exists
use the form 'zpool import <pool | id> <newpool>' to give it a new name

... any suggestions ..?

Also, which directory do I need to be in ..?
Thanks in advance ... worst case scenario I have it backed up.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Do you mean a SLOG?

I am thinking a "-f" (force) to the import might work, but it also might really just want a unique name.

TrumanHW

Contributor
OKay -- how do I create a unique name (syntax() ..? (doing so won't "overwrite" it I presume?)

Also, should I be in root ..? Or in "mnt" when I run the command...?

(when I attempted that it just stalls and does nothing and I have to refresh the screeen)

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm going to leave the floor open here for a bit to see if anyone else who's actually done this or something similar pops in. I just don't have it in me tonight to go experiment to see if I can duplicate the issue.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@TrumanHW first your thread title is a bit misleading, but you already found out that it's zpool import and not zpool mount. Second the command is telling you what to do and why.

It seems you are trying to import a pool named IBM80 while another pool of the same name is already active. Pool names need to be unique, so it suggests to use zpool import -m IBM80 <some-new-name-of-your-choice> instead.

Then, when importing pools on the command line in TrueNAS core you should always specify the "altroot" option, so the pool gets mounted under /mnt. That makes it:

zpool import -m -o altroot=/mnt IBM80 <some-new-name-of-your-choice>

After a successful import you should export the pool again and re-import in in the UI, so the TrueNAS middleware knows about it.
Let us know how that goes.

HTH,
Patrick

TrumanHW

Contributor
@TrumanHW first your thread title is a bit misleading, but you already found out that it's zpool import and not zpool mount. Second the command is telling you what to do and why.

It seems you are trying to import a pool named IBM80 while another pool of the same name is already active. Pool names need to be unique, so it suggests to use zpool import -m IBM80 <some-new-name-of-your-choice> instead.

Then, when importing pools on the command line in TrueNAS core you should always specify the "altroot" option, so the pool gets mounted under /mnt. That makes it:

zpool import -m -o altroot=/mnt IBM80 <some-new-name-of-your-choice>

After a successful import you should export the pool again and re-import in in the UI, so the TrueNAS middleware knows about it.
Let us know how that goes.

HTH,
Patrick

Morning Patrick, and I apologize for more dumb questions...

I read your message to say I should skip the first command and use the more complete command ...:

zpool import -m -o altroot=/mnt IBM80

via:
cd /
to get to the root ... then:
sudo zpool import -m -o altroot=/mnt IBM80 IBM60

...with IBM60 being the renamed-name.

The response however was:
cannot import "IBM80": no such pool available

Thanks in advance ...

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What's the result of:
Code:
zpool status
zpool import

TrumanHW

Contributor
I actually only know how to take screenshots ... (can't seem to copy the text and even if I did it'd lose it's formatting and being a wall of text I'm sure) ... hope this is okay -- consolidated it in photoshop to hopefully make it easier for you to read:

stitched - IBM80.jpg

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
1. Always use ssh to get at the command line and not the web UI shell. The latter is broken, period.

2. The pool "IBM80" is already imported. Why do you want to import it again? The initial error message just told you that a pool named "IBM80" already existed. Nothing is wrong with your pool. Of course the slog is gone, but apart from that the pool is healthy.

3. You can remove the slog with zpool remove IBM80 <that long number that I am not going to retype from a screenshot>. Use ssh, then use copy & paste.

4. You did not type zpool import and show us the result.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
OK, so the two commands give consistent output. There is no pool still to be imported. The pool "IBM80" is imported and healthy. You just need to get rid of the slog device.

What is your problem that sparked your initial post, then? Anything not working as it should?

TrumanHW

Contributor
OK, so the two commands give consistent output. There is no pool still to be imported. The pool "IBM80" is imported and healthy. You just need to get rid of the slog device.

What is your problem that sparked your initial post, then? Anything not working as it should?

Oh no, this was 100% complacency on my end. I was trying to get a 3rd unit working for a friend of mine, and accidentally screwed something up as I don't have the components labeled ... and was trying to figure out why TF!!! one would work at about 600-800MB/s and the other at 187MB/s ... I first thought it was bc I had a newer Chelsio SFP+ card, which did make a little difference (in the 300s) ... but then remembered that the top PCIe slot was electronically faster (despite having the same physical length) the fastest for some reason and now got it back up to 650-750MB/s ... had originally planned to install some SATADOMs as well, but, then realized they didn't send the damned power cables and managed to mix up the freaking boot drives (I've since written down which units they correspond to) ... like I said, ENTIRELY my fault (not that of TrueNAS). :)

Anyway, I've SSH'd in, but for clarity's sake (and since we know for sure I'm a retard) ...

when you say "copy the number" ...

zpool remove IBM80 1784129529913061166

...?

Or:

zpool remove IBM80 dev/gptid/b9ce1447-751c-11ec-99e1-00074344de20

or something else ..? (which now, hopefully I've made it less of a PITA to copy+paste) ... :)

Again, THANK YOU.
I'm definitely cash tight these days, but would be happy to send something
either to you as a gesture of gratitude or donation to the TrueNAS dev... or whatever you'd like.
(as my uncle used to say, nothing is as sincere as cash.)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
zpool remove IBM80 1784129529913061166

You can do a zpool scrub IBM80 afterwards just to sleep better :wink:

But before you do that - re-reading your initial post ...

So you disconnected the pool from the UI? How did you re-import it afterwards? From the command line? You can do that (as we have now seen) but only for troubleshooting purposes. TrueNAS won't know your pool is there and because you probably omitted the -o altroot=/mnt option all the datasets are mounted in the wrong place. Therefore sharing etc. won't work.

So after you successfully got rid of that slog device you need to:

1. zpool export IBM80
2. import the pool in the UI: go to Storage > Pools > Add and pick "Import an existing pool"

Then you can do that zpool scrub IBM80 just to make sure or use the UI to do the same.

For production operation always import pools from the UI. The command line is indispensable for diagnostics, though, so better get familiar with ssh.

TrumanHW

Contributor
I have MUCH to learn ... though (this time) I really needed to copy all my data from my old FreeNAS array manually to remove the weird permissions that were appended to the data from when it was on a QNAP (2-3 NAS ago) ... and therefore disallowed deleting or moving any data ... I was still unable to figure out how to use the replication task ... just kept getting one issue after another (despite the server being found in the replication task and allowing me to browse to the folders I wanted to replicate) ... and having successfully added the SSH keys, etc. BUT, again, I'm 100% confident it's my incompetence. I am NO sysadmin. I am basically "pretty good" at admin of Macs, physical diagnostics of laptops, and OS debugging for users, obviously.

I know NOTHING even remotely related to writing a script, which, truly hampers my main target business (Data Recovery).

I know a little bit about PCB diagnostics and repair, and am okay with a PC3000 and DDI ... but have a long ways to go before I can say I'm in the top tier of knowledge ... which is a goal...and of course, having a NAS (like these T320) are a huge help. Both for storing recovered data if I do a RAID recovery ... mounting drive-images from ... whether using R-Studio or PC3000 ... and also, if I clone customer drives to my drives to ensure their safety (instead of using images) the T320 using DD rescue allows cloning 4x 6TB drives per machine (which is awesome).

I'm LUCKY to be in a community of absolute EXPERTS of data recovery who are amazingly generous with their time and no longer play that BS of making it a dark art in which all knowledge is proprietary ... but not understanding scripts / programming sure does hold me back.

Thank you for helping me out so much. Because members of TrueNAS forum's competency & generosity ... members like yourself, JGreco, Rand, Ericloewe ... and undoubtedly countless others I've carelessly missed, people have saved my ass, taught me TONS, saved hours if not months of whatever time I'd have had available to attempt to figure things out on my own, and no doubt, helped me make money at times.

When I'm able to, if there's not a way to pay a "subscription" or make monthly donations ... I will just do them manually. The value of this forum is just TOO GREAT to take for granted.

TrumanHW

Contributor
As I was saying (while you were FIGURING OUT things I didn't have the sense to explicitly say) ... you accurately inferred, summarized and gave me a RECIPE to fix my system! Seriously, touting the value of this forum feels inadequate sometimes.

I can't recall who, but someone (maybe here or on servethehome) was a little condescending, & in retrospect I probably deserved it.
What's more..? HELLO; I've been through Marine boot camp. I can't handle some words?? In the grand scheme, qui gives a shit ...
I will never again allow myself to forget the contextual value (nor my place) and how ridiculously (yes, knowledgeable) but also, talented. As in, IQ for this subject isn't something that hard work / work ethic alone guarantees someone will acquire. I don't know my limits to learn enough coding to understand or create rudimentary tasks that solve problems ... irrespective how much time I put in to it. And I'm LUCKY to have a community of people willing to be SO generous.

I'll of course, make notes from your solutions and turn them into a list of solutions I've accumulated from you guys ...
(as I tried doing the first time) ... and hopefully I won't do something this stupid again for a while! :) But, in doing so I think I've learned some things ... and for certain, I've learned that SSH is the proper means of accessing the CLI // that the native Shell within the GUI is only for getting info, not administration.... again, I THANK YOU!!!!!

Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 12.27.49 PM.png

TrumanHW

Contributor
You can do a zpool scrub IBM80 afterwards just to sleep better :wink:

But before you do that - re-reading your initial post ...

So you disconnected the pool from the UI? How did you re-import it afterwards? From the command line? You can do that (as we have now seen) but only for troubleshooting purposes. TrueNAS won't know your pool is there and because you probably omitted the -o altroot=/mnt option all the datasets are mounted in the wrong place. Therefore sharing etc. won't work.

So after you successfully got rid of that slog device you need to:

1. zpool export IBM80
2. import the pool in the UI: go to Storage > Pools > Add and pick "Import an existing pool"

Then you can do that zpool scrub IBM80 just to make sure or use the UI to do the same.

For production operation always import pools from the UI. The command line is indispensable for diagnostics, though, so better get familiar with ssh.

Yet another thing I've learned in this conv..? How to denote code. :)
{ICODE} code here {/ICODE}
(obv. sub-ing brackets for { and }

As always, I'm going to consolidate all the notes from what you've taught me here in to a list which ... eventually I'll aggregate.

Perhaps I can email you it to audit for accuracy (and clarity) before sharing with others.