Can't limit access to services like NFS to an IP address range

Revan

Explorer
Under Services/NFS i want to limit access to NFS by using the BIND IP Addresses field, but when i click on it, it doesn't let me enter an address or ip range. When clicking on the field, an empty list pops up.

Clicking on the help button says:
"Select IP addresses to listen to for NFS reqeusts. Leave empty for NFS to listen to all available addresses."

I assume the list is there to select some pre defined ip address fields, but where can i define them?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Bind IP is for the NFS server process, and is restricted to the server's local interface IPs. You want to limit access in the shares themselves, where you can define client subnets and host IPs.

Revan

Explorer
I understand. Thank you.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
When clicking on the field, an empty list pops up.

Also, empty implies you have your system configured for DHCP. This is not recommended, as loss of the DHCP lease will lead to loss of NAS connectivity.

Revan

Explorer
Well, my DHCP server is my layer 3 switch. If that one goes down, i also won't have a connection to the NAS. But thanks for the info.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, my DHCP server is my layer 3 switch. If that one goes down, i also won't have a connection to the NAS. But thanks for the info.

Not true. Your switch is running a software stack, and it is entirely possible for a switch to run out of memory and start losing processes. It is also entirely possible for the DHCP server to change the address of the NAS, perhaps due to misconfiguration, which will cause the NAS to drop open client sessions, which really messes with stuff like NFS.

Revan

Explorer
Okay, i will think about it making it a static ip.

Revan

Explorer
Not true. Your switch is running a software stack, and it is entirely possible for a switch to run out of memory and start losing processes. It is also entirely possible for the DHCP server to change the address of the NAS, perhaps due to misconfiguration, which will cause the NAS to drop open client sessions, which really messes with stuff like NFS.
One more question.

Does that also apply, if the IP adresse which is given by the DHCP server, is always the same?

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, yes, if the DHCP server crashes, and your lease times out.

This is why it is generally much better to wire down infrastructure with static IP addresses. If you have a setup with redundant DHCP and monitoring/alerting, and you want to use assigned IP addresses via DHCP, you have probably reached a tipping point where the risks are not meaningfully dangerous.

Revan

Explorer
Thanks.