Can't Install Freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

gloop

Cadet
My base system is a P8Z68 with an i5 2500k. Mobo set to defaults. I have 2 western digital black 6 TB drives i want to use as storage.

I have downloaded freenas 11.1 ( a couple times in case i got a bad download and have been having issues).
I have made an iso on a normal cd drive and i have made bootable disk drives on numerous thumb drives all from different manufacturers.
I have tried installing from various media sources as mentioned above.
Every single time i always get to a point that says mountroot: unable to remount devfs under /dev (error 2) and then mountroot: unable to unlink /dev/dev (error 2)

i have tried various media sources as the source file. I have tried various sources as the destination installation to include an ssd (that failed because it said something along the lines of unable to calculate size).

All attempts have been unsuccessful. what the heck is going on?????

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well, while a P8Z68 is near the bottom of the list of "motherboards I'd recommend for FreeNAS", we certainly have users that have successfully used it with FreeNAS.

Right now I'm inclined to suspect a hardware/chipset problem. What is the history of this motherboard? It is quite old---have you used it successfully with a previous operating system? Did you pick it up used recently? etc. Please also tell us more about you hardware. How much memory. What exactly is plugged in to the mobo, etc.

Thanks.

gloop

Cadet
I just built a new computer and decided to use my old one for freenas, I never had any issue with it. I am mainly just wanting a standalone server for plex. I have 8 gb (2x4) of ram installed. There is an old radeon hd6970 plugged in as the mobo doesnt have onboard graphics. It is an asus p8z68 deluxe. there are 2 western digital black 6tb drives plugged in and 1 ocz vertex 120 gb ssd.

I ended up getting it installed and created my storage with the 2 western digital drives late last night. I went to bed and when i got up to go to work i have another error message. it says
LoopStorage inadyn[12547] Failed to get IPaddress for default@dyndns.org, giving up

gloop

Cadet
my home network uses a charter modem. I use an eero mesh wifi router. A netgear 16 port gigabit switch plugs into the eero. all wired devices plug into the switch.

diedrichg

Wizard
If all you are doing is serving up media through Plex then there is no need to fool around with FreeNAS, just roll a Linux Mint install or Windows and be done with it.

Also, you didn't mention the software used to make the bootable FreeNAS install media.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
diedrichg has a reasonable point. "To use Plex" is not a good enough reason in and of itself to descend down the FreeNAS/FreeBSD hole in my opinion, and as he says, if that's truly your only motivation, you are going to have a much easier time just installing, as he says, something like a Linux Mint.

As for your error message, that looks like the inadyn-mt service, which is the dynamic dns service in the SERVICES menu, can't resolve ip addresses, so there is a problem with your nameserver configuration locally.

To verify that's the problem, drop to the shell, and try this:
Code:
ping 8.8.8.8

that SHOULD work,

and then try this:
Code:
ping www.ibm.com

and that WON'T work if you have a nameserver problem.

If that's the case, that's easily fixed. Please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.