Can't import pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Facerafter

Cadet
A few days ago I replaced the motherboard and CPU of my Freenas system.

After attaching the drives to the new motherboard, one pool wouldnt import, which consisted of a single 4TB drive.

The system saw the disk as online but couldn't import it as according to it there were devices missing.
smartctl showed no errors and all looked ok.

Now in attempt to recover the data and copy it over to another drive I installed Freenas in a VM and connected it to the physical drive.
But also there it couldn't import the drives...
http://imgur.com/a/e0WAQ
http://imgur.com/a/IWRKz

I would be very grateful if someone can help me access the contents of the drive.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Read the forum rules and follow them.

Hardware specs and freenas version required for all posts.

What is the output of zpool import and zpool status?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Facerafter

Cadet
The result of zpool import is in my previous post...
Cant check exact version right now but im pretty sure its the latest 9.10 with U3 at the end.

Hardware; i5 3350p, ASrock Extreme4 Z77, 2x 4GB Corsiar Vengeance, 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS drive and a samsung 250 gb ssd.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
one pool wouldnt import, which consisted of a single 4TB drive
The error messages you posted strongly suggest that the pool was not a single device.

Please post the output of zpool history data in CODE tags to preserve formatting.

gpsguy

Yes, as @Robert Trevellyan said, based on the 2nd screenshot, it appears that you had a stripe with multiple disks and one or more are missing.

joeschmuck

Old Man
@Facerafter Right now I suspect you have a hardware compatability issue and this hardware is not good hardware for a FreeNAS system, and running a single drive as a stripe is a huge risk as well, but it's a risk you are taking so hopefully you did your homework and understand it. Is the BIOS current?

If you need to access the contents then I would recommend you revert back to your previous hardware setup and ensure you can get to your data before you goof up and destroy your data. If you can then back it up while you can.

Facerafter

Cadet
The error messages you posted strongly suggest that the pool was not a single device.

Please post the output of zpool history data in CODE tags to preserve formatting.
Code:
cannot open 'data': no such pool

Oh and I just released I only posted the result of zpool import from the VM I tried it in. Here is from the actual system:
Code:
   pool: data
	 id: 11627929727604786865
  state: UNAVAIL
action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing
		devices and try again.
   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-6X
config:

data										  UNAVAIL  missing device
		  gptid/aa17f7f7-0ec5-11e6-9d1d-6c626db9975c  ONLINE

Additional devices are known to be part of this pool, though their
		exact configuration cannot be determined.

and software version:

FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3

@Facerafter Right now I suspect you have a hardware compatability issue and this hardware is not good hardware for a FreeNAS system, and running a single drive as a stripe is a huge risk as well, but it's a risk you are taking so hopefully you did your homework and understand it. Is the BIOS current?

If you need to access the contents then I would recommend you revert back to your previous hardware setup and ensure you can get to your data before you goof up and destroy your data. If you can then back it up while you can.
Yet my other pool is working fine? Shouldn't that one be unavailable too then?

Yeah I know its a big risk, but I simply don't have the money to setup a raid system with 4TB drives and I also havn't come across a cheap solution to backup over 4tb of data.

As for BIOS im not sure. When I bought the motherboard it was already released for quite some time but never checked it.

Going to try that now..

Facerafter

Cadet
Going back to previous hardware situation seems like it hasn't helped
Still the same error.

gpsguy

Can you clarify the statement below, especially the portion in red? Perhaps you accidentally made the other drive part of the existing pool and this is the disk that now appears to be missing.

Now in attempt to recover the data and copy it over to another drive I installed Freenas in a VM and connected it to the physical drive.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Did you reattach all the original drives? Please double check and provide output of camcontrol devlist

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.