Can't get Chelsio N320E (10gbase) to work at all

Kei

Dabbler
Hello everyone,
I've installed a Chelsio N320E NIC on my system, a Supermicro x10sl7-f motherboard, with FreeNAS-11.2-U7 on.
The card is correctly recognized since I can see both interfaces showing up as cxgb0 and cxgb1.
However, upon connecting to a PC with a point to point connection, I can't even ping the bloody thing.
On the PC, if I type arp -a i see the ip for the freenas server but the mac address is reported as incomplete. If I add it with arp -s, and sniff the traffic on the FN box, I do see ping traffinc being received and being replied back to the PC, however the PC does not seem to receive a single packet with wireshark.
Does anyone kindly have some experience to share hoping to help me fix this issue?
Thank you!

Last edited:

blanchet

Guru
Maybe you have to upgrade the firmware of the NIC. The last version is T3 FW 7.11.0

The procedure to upgrade the firmware of the Chelsio N320E on FreeBSD is explained here:

(The article is in French but you can use Google Translate)

I strongly suggest to test NIC on another computer with Linux to known if the issue comes from the NIC or the operating system.

Last edited:

Kei

Dabbler
Hey, thanks for replying. I did try the NIC on another PC with linux and it does work.
Yesterday I've also tried the NIC on another server with a fresh FN installation and it works, so the problem is either the specific hardware on my current NAS or something peculiar with the FN installation that I did, even if the version is the same.
Next thing I will try this weekend is to load a fresh install of FN on the current NAS hardware. I'll keep u guys posted!

VioletDragon

Patron
Hey, thanks for replying. I did try the NIC on another PC with linux and it does work.
Yesterday I've also tried the NIC on another server with a fresh FN installation and it works, so the problem is either the specific hardware on my current NAS or something peculiar with the FN installation that I did, even if the version is the same.
Next thing I will try this weekend is to load a fresh install of FN on the current NAS hardware. I'll keep u guys posted!

I have this card. works fine for me. did you set a Static IP on each end? is it a link only? Im using the T320s on FreeNAS and XCP-ng.