Can't Flash M1015

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeBug

Dabbler
When trying to flash my M1015 I get one of two errors. The "Failed to initialize PAL" error appeared on my SuperMicro X9SCM-F, and ASUS Maximus V Gene. The "No LSI SAS adapters found! Limited command set available!" error appeared on a HP DX2400, and Gigabyte GA-H61n-USB3.

I reasonably sure I am going through the flashing process correctly. I created a DOS USB with Rufus, copied the SAS2008 folder over to the root, booted from the USB, and finally cd to SAS2008, SAS2FLSH.exe. Can someone with more experience can verify that I am at least going through the process correctly?

I found a post from 2013 that described the same issues, but it looks like they ended up having another forum member cross flash their card for them.

Despite the "No LSI SAS adapters found!" error I can confirm that each system recognized the card. I was able to get into the card's BIOS.

Any solutions?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Do a search inside this forum, there are MANY posts regarding the M1015 card flashing and you just
need to keep it simple. There should be no reason you need to change directory for flashing the card.
EDIT:
Deleted first response, did not understand the term root to mean the flash drive. Sorry

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I started out there as well.
My experience was a bit different, I used the DOS to erase the firmware and then struggled for a long time trying to use DOS to
rewrite the firmware. I then discovered that I could use the UEFI version of sas2flash and was then successful.
To use this card in FreeNAS, make sure to flash with the P16 IT mode firmware version so the Freenas P16 driver and the firmware
match. This is a must for proper config in Freenas 9.3

I managed to use DOS, its also what i've done for a long time lol.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

FreeBug

Dabbler
Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
That did the trick! But, I'm on Product Revision v15. I see files for P16, as well as P17 in the above link. Should I skip P16 and go straight to p17?
NO! You want P16 firmware in IT mode (for FreeNAS versions going back at least two years???)
I don't know the exact version when the P16 driver became part of FreeBSD, someone help me out here:D

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
According to the FreeBSD man pages, that mps driver was introduced in version 8.3

AUTHORS
The mps driver was originally written by Scott Long <scottl@FreeBSD.org>.
It has been improved and tested by LSI Logic Corporation.
^^^^^^this is why FreeNAS is still using this driver^^^^

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm fairly certain P16 is much newer. 9.2.1 or thereabouts

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I'm fairly certain P16 is much newer. 9.2.1 or thereabouts
I was thinking in regards of FreeBSD, but I think you are correct about FreeNAS Eric.

FreeBug

Dabbler
OK. I am on Product Revision 16 now, and my product identifier is SAS2008-IT. That should mean I am ready to install FreeNAS, right?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Good job! Go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.