SOLVED Can't delete VM in TrueNAS SCALE

revensanchez

Cadet
I have an old Ubuntu VM on my system that was probably created with FreeNAS 11 (?). I hadn't fired it up in ages, but hadn't deleted it just in case I needed it for testing.

I've now upgraded the system to SCALE (TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.4) and was cleaning up jails and tried to delete it as well. I get "[EFAULT] This system does not support virtualization." error when trying to delete through the UI. The complete traceback is below. I thought it might be a weird quirk with an old config and that something was not properly linked, so I deleted all the VMs devices, and also removed the dataset (which worked without issue), but I still get the same error.

I've searched a bunch of posts here and other articles saying that virtualization requires VTx settings in BIOS to be activated. Was this also a requirement for Core? I guess over the years I could've inadvertently changed some BIOS settings, but why does it need virtualization capability to delete a VM? Is there a way to just force the deletion from the database? With an api call maybe? Or is this a bug?

Basic specs of my setup are:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
Asus PRIME B450M-A

Traceback:
Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 177, in call_method
    result = await self.middleware._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=self)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1294, in _call
    return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/service.py", line 942, in delete
    rv = await self.middleware._call(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1294, in _call
    return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1140, in nf
    res = await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1272, in nf
    return await func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm/vms.py", line 395, in do_delete
    await self.middleware.run_in_thread(self._check_setup_connection)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1209, in run_in_thread
    return await self.run_in_executor(self.thread_pool_executor, method, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1206, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm/connection.py", line 64, in _check_setup_connection
    self._check_connection_alive()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm/connection.py", line 57, in _check_connection_alive
    self._system_supports_virtualization()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm/connection.py", line 54, in _system_supports_virtualization
    raise CallError('This system does not support virtualization.')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] This system does not support virtualization.

revensanchez

Cadet
I've explored more with a couple of api calls:

With /api/v2.0/vm/id/4 I get:
Code:
{
 "id": 4,
 "name": "Ubuntu_VM",
 "description": "",
 "vcpus": 2,
 "memory": 2048,
 "autostart": false,