Phil Demand

Dabbler
Hello all-

I'll start with my setup:
Supermicro X10SLL-F
16gb Crucial ECC Unbuffered 1.5v
i3-4170
4x 1TB WD reds

Other than the drives, this is a new setup. I got rid of some old hardware and started with a fresh install of 9.3, and simply plugged in my existing drives. I created a user, an AFP share, and the drive appears on my Mac as is always did, all my files were there. My Mac wouldn't allow me to start backing up (time machine) to the existing sparsebundle, so I followed these instructions to start a new one. Success. Now, when I try to delete the old sparsebundle I get the following message:

"The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items."

I can add to and delete files from the drive. Only this one sparsebundle file is giving me this error message.

I'm not experienced enough to know what else to say, but if anyone thinks they can help, I'll screenshot, cut-and-paste, adjust, or examine upon request.

Phil Demand

Dabbler
That sounds good. Can you point me towards a resource that explains how to use the rm command? I just don't want to screw this up.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Can you point me towards a resource that explains how to use the rm command?
Have you ever used the shell? It's analogous to a DOS box in Windows. To see the contents of a folder, you use the ls command (like dir in Windows). To move to a different folder you use cd (same as Windows).

Here's the man page for rm:
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi...ion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.3-RELEASE&format=html

The reason this might solve your problem is that in the shell, you're the root user, which is all-powerful, so do tread carefully.

Hello all-

I'll start with my setup:
Supermicro X10SLL-F
16gb Crucial ECC Unbuffered 1.5v
i3-4170
4x 1TB WD reds

Other than the drives, this is a new setup. I got rid of some old hardware and started with a fresh install of 9.3, and simply plugged in my existing drives. I created a user, an AFP share, and the drive appears on my Mac as is always did, all my files were there. My Mac wouldn't allow me to start backing up (time machine) to the existing sparsebundle, so I followed these instructions to start a new one. Success. Now, when I try to delete the old sparsebundle I get the following message:

"The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items."

I can add to and delete files from the drive. Only this one sparsebundle file is giving me this error message.

I'm not experienced enough to know what else to say, but if anyone thinks they can help, I'll screenshot, cut-and-paste, adjust, or examine upon request.
Unable to see "these" instructions. please update

darkwarrior

Patron

tdscrna

Cadet
Change the file name. I added an .s after "sparsebundle" and it deleted in about 3 seconds. Magic!