Can't create NFS shares of iocage jail dataset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liriel

Dabbler
I am trying to create an NFS share to an iocage dataset. I did this with the old warden datasets in order to back up data and configs created by software running within the jail.

This is the error I get when trying to create the share:
Code:
The path must reside within a volume mount point

This is a screenshot of the error: https://puu.sh/yGGjK/0dd0d3a4e4.png

The path I am trying to use for the NFS share is: /mnt/iocage/jails/Maraschino/root

Is this an expected behaviour? If so, is there a better way to do what I am trying to accomplish?

D

dlavigne

Where you able to resolve this? If not, which build version (System -> Information)?

treboR2Robert

Dabbler
Did anyone solve this ? I am having the same thing on 11.2 BETA2

Driving me crazy

anmnz

Patron
Is this an expected behaviour? If so, is there a better way to do what I am trying to accomplish?

Not sure if it is expected -- something seems not to like the fact that /mnt/iocage is not under /mnt/<pool name>, but I don't know if that's just an overzealous sanity check that's making an assumption that's untrue with iocage in the mix.

However yes there is a better way. If you can:

* Identify the paths within the jail that are being used for the data and configs that you want to back up

* Mount directories from your main pool into the jail at those places (either with iocage fstab -a or through the UI). There are plenty of examples of how to do this in the various guides to jail creation on the forums.

Then the data you care about will live outside the jail. So backing it up becomes much simpler because you don't have to worry about the fact that it's in the jail, it's just like any other data on your FreeNAS system. And as an added bonus you can even destroy and recreate the jail without losing that data.

treboR2Robert

Dabbler
Not sure if it is expected -- something seems not to like the fact that /mnt/iocage is not under /mnt/<pool name>, but I don't know if that's just an overzealous sanity check that's making an assumption that's untrue with iocage in the mix.

However yes there is a better way. If you can:

* Identify the paths within the jail that are being used for the data and configs that you want to back up

* Mount directories from your main pool into the jail at those places (either with iocage fstab -a or through the UI). There are plenty of examples of how to do this in the various guides to jail creation on the forums.

Then the data you care about will live outside the jail. So backing it up becomes much simpler because you don't have to worry about the fact that it's in the jail, it's just like any other data on your FreeNAS system. And as an added bonus you can even destroy and recreate the jail without losing that data.

Unfortunately that is another thing that I am having problems with. All of the mounts i made seem to work until the last one which has spaces in it. Below is a pic of the mount setup and then a pic of what happens when i click save.
mntsetup.JPG

mntreslut.JPG

As you can see it does NOT like spaces.

Think i might actually pull my hair out soon

fracai

Guru
I encountered the same issue with trying to mount a path with spaces. I resolved this by mounting the parent directory instead. Fortunately that plexmedia-plexpass directory only contains two directories ("Plex Media Server" and another plex directory that was empty ("Plex"?)). If I recall, there's a ticket regarding mounting directories with spaces.
This one was closed in February. I'm not sure if it's merged in a version that is available in FreeNAS.
https://github.com/iocage/libiocage/issues/122

treboR2Robert

Dabbler
I encountered the same issue with trying to mount a path with spaces. I resolved this by mounting the parent directory instead. Fortunately that plexmedia-plexpass directory only contains two directories ("Plex Media Server" and another plex directory that was empty ("Plex"?)). If I recall, there's a ticket regarding mounting directories with spaces.
This one was closed in February. I'm not sure if it's merged in a version that is available in FreeNAS.
https://github.com/iocage/libiocage/issues/122
I think you can have spaces if you set them up from the CLI which is what I have been doing but obviously solving that problem wasn't enough because now the mnt path is too long (over 88 characters). FML
Sorry I haven't got back to you yet @fracai I've been up to my eyeballs in it. I'll reply now.

Status
Not open for further replies.