Cannot see FreeNAS share on WIN10 PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewNASGuy

Dabbler
Hello there FreeNAS forums .

As the title says , im having an issue of my FreeNAS Share not being able to be seen / accessed from a Win10 PC .
FreeNAS system is running build :FreeNAS-11.1-U1 on an ASRock QC5000M-itx/ph board with 8GB RAM . ( freeNAS is on a 32GB SSD , while the volume i have is set up on a 500GB HDD )

I ran the wizard , set up the SMB share , then checked under Services > SMB that the Workgroup matches the workgroup of the PC .

If i ping the FreeNAS system , i get consistent pings , but if i try to connect to the share thru windows explorer , or map a network drive , i get a message saying either the name is incorrect , or that server cannot perform requested operation .

Forgot to add , PC is connected to the FreeNAS system via a 1Gb switch , and this is just supposed to be a test , meaning have the freeNAS system be a LAN "file dump" , nothing serious or of much importance .

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Can you connect via the IP address? Type in the explorer bar \\your.FreeNAS.IP.address

NewNASGuy

Dabbler
Can you connect via the IP address? Type in the explorer bar \\your.FreeNAS.IP.address
Yes , have already tried that , and it says the address cannot be reached .

I can connect to the Web GUI just fine . Also , if it is of importance , i can see the internet router when i go to network devices in windows but still cannot see the share .

ethereal

Guru
have you actually set up a share ?

what is displayed on the share - smb tab ?

it may also have something to do with permissions which user are you using ? do they have the correct permissions ?

Last edited:

NewNASGuy

Dabbler
have you actually set up a share ?

what is displayed on the share - smb tab ?

it may also have something to do with permissions which user are you using ? do they have the correct permissions ?

Under Sharing - SMB , it shows FreeNAS ( share ) , add Windows (SMB) Share and view SMB Shares

Path is : /mnt/Share/FreeNAS , default permissions is ticked , browsable to network clients aswell . Rest i did not touch .

Permissions for the share is set to my username , and set to the Windows option .

ethereal

Guru
1. does the share allow guest access?

2. goto smb share - edit - advanced mode - you may see a problem here (you could also add your ip addresss to host allow that may help)

3. i don't know much about sharing permissions because i just use guest

windows 10 maybe the problem - a recent update disabled smb guest support - it took me 2 days to work out what the problem was - do you another operating system to try (my windows 7 worked so i new it wasn't freenas that was the problem)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Check that your Windows client hasn't been setup to use old, broken authentication. Some applications like to do that.

NewNASGuy

Dabbler
I did the SMB thing thru power shell , does not seem to have done anything .
It probably IS windows 10 being an cough , but iv no idea whats causing this .

Sadly no , only other options to test this one are two laptops , both running Windows 10 and both being unable to see the share .

Il try to dig around , maybe some dumb mistake i did ( i hope ) .

P.s - if anyone was wondering what it looks like :
31961563_2193569084004674_1561983780539858944_n.jpg

NewNASGuy

Dabbler
Small update , i got to the point that i get error code 0x80070035 when trying to connect to the share . ( Network path not found ) . Any ideas ?

Is NetBIOS over IP enabled for the client?

sretalla