"cannot receive new filesystem stream: destination has snapshots"

seanm

Guru
One of my backup procedures is to zfs send from my main pool to another disk that I periodically insert into my NAS. I've done this many times with no problems. It failed yesterday with:

cannot receive new filesystem stream: destination 'offsite1/tank-backup/VMs/foo' exists must specify -F to overwrite it

This I suspect is because since the last backup, I deleted the 'foo' dataset and created another with the same name in the same place. Probably confused it. So I added -F, but then:

cannot receive new filesystem stream: destination has snapshots (eg. offsite1/tank-backup/VMs/bar@OFFSITE-2020-06-04) must destroy them to overwrite it

Note the second message is about the 'bar' dataset, not 'foo'. I'm thinking maybe this is because before the first error the 'bar' dataset was partially backed up? Anyway, what to do now? Should I delete the snapshot on the destination disk as it suggests?

Thanks.

seanm

Guru
So in case it helps anyone else finding this, I went ahead and deleted offsite1/tank-backup/VMs/bar@OFFSITE-2020-06-04 and redid my zfs send/recv procedure and seems all is good now.

seanm

Guru
This just happened to me again. Well, specifically the second part:

Code:
cannot receive new filesystem stream: destination has snapshots (eg. offsite1/tank-backup/VMs/bar@OFFSITE-2020-06-04)
must destroy them to overwrite it

So I tried what I tried before, and deleted the snapshot. Then it complained about another snapshot. So I tried deleting that one too. Did this a few times, now some new thing has occurred:

Code:
cannot receive: specified fs (offsite1/tank-backup) does not exist
cannot open 'offsite1/tank-backup': dataset does not exist
warning: cannot send 'tank/MyDataSet@manual-2020-10-30_18-07': signal received

And indeed offsite1/tank-backup "doesn't exist" or rather it seems to have been renamed to offsite1/tank-backuprecv-68410-1

Ugh. I'm not sure what state I'm in now... :(

Dr.Pepper42

Cadet
Hi Im having the same issue rn. Did you find a permanent fix ?
This just happened to me again. Well, specifically the second part:

Code:
cannot receive new filesystem stream: destination has snapshots (eg. offsite1/tank-backup/VMs/bar@OFFSITE-2020-06-04)
must destroy them to overwrite it

So I tried what I tried before, and deleted the snapshot. Then it complained about another snapshot. So I tried deleting that one too. Did this a few times, now some new thing has occurred:

Code:
cannot receive: specified fs (offsite1/tank-backup) does not exist
cannot open 'offsite1/tank-backup': dataset does not exist
warning: cannot send 'tank/MyDataSet@manual-2020-10-30_18-07': signal received

And indeed offsite1/tank-backup "doesn't exist" or rather it seems to have been renamed to offsite1/tank-backuprecv-68410-1

Ugh. I'm not sure what state I'm in now... :(

seanm

Guru
It hasn't happened to me since. Never got to the bottom of it I'm afraid.

This I suspect is because since the last backup, I deleted the 'foo' dataset and created another with the same name in the same place. Probably confused it.
Since someone already necro'd this thread, I'll just chime in and say that what you did misunderstands the nature of snapshots and datasets. It's not like a "folder with files inside", where you can "create a new dataset, rename it, and re-sync it to an existing destination".

Last edited: