Cannot make second CIFS share password protected

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigjdoe

Cadet
I will start with a quick explanation of my current setup.

4x4TB drives in zfs raidz2

1 Volume "nasbox" mount path /mnt/nasbox. I think this is the max size of the raid, 6.9TB
1 CIFS share called "data" with guest access allowed

Initially I just wanted one share but now I wan't 2. I want a "Media" share, with guest access, and then I want a "data" or "backup" share that is password protected.

Is there a way for me to do this without starting over? If I create a new share, even with "allow guest access" unchecked, any computer on the network can still access it. I'm guessing because this share is created under the nasbox volume? Any help would be appriciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• nas.jpg
    nas.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 264

Whattteva

Wizard
They should have to login when you create a new share with no guest access. Did you make sure to restart the CIFS service after you made the changes?

thebigjdoe

Cadet
They should have to login when you create a new share with no guest access. Did you make sure to restart the CIFS service after you made the changes?

I think my problem is that I have only one volume. Was I suppose to create one volume out of the drives?

When i go to //FREENAS/ in windows it shows me my two shares; "data", "test"

when i click either one it takes me to the root of my volume, /mnt/nasbox, and shows all folders. It is like both shares are the same. Do I need multiple volumes? Under my current Volume(/mnt/nasbox)in the freenas panel, the one that uses all 4 disks, I can create zfs volume. is that what i need to do?

I attached an image to show most of my current setup

Attachments

• nas.jpg
    nas.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 271

Whattteva

Wizard
No, you should not need two volumes.
I only have one volume with multiple data sets and it works just fine.
data and test should not be poiting to the same root folder. I'm not sure why it is doing it, did you make sure to restart CIFS service like I told you though?

thebigjdoe

Cadet
Ya this is driving me crazy... I did restart the CIFS service, even tried restarting the freenas machine...

Any other idea's or settings you want to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.