"Cannot import: No such pool available" on encrypted volume

MauricioU

Explorer
So I've been scouring these forums for some information on this to no avail. Lots of similar posts but not quite the same.

Last night my freenas bootdrive failed apparently. I went to upgrade to freenas11 U1 and my boot drive somehow got stuck repeating the same thing over and over again and failing in trying to install, (CAM status: CCB request completed with an error; Error 5, Retries exhausted). I troubleshoot that and it seems to be a faulty usb.

So, I get a new usb, install freenas onto it and then load up, everything is fine, i upload my saved config, everything is perfect except my volume won't restore. I encrypted it and I SAVED the geli.key encryption key file on my computer.

My volume shows up under volumes since i uploaded my saved config but it's locked. When I click unlock it prompts me if i want to unlock the volume, I press YES and then the page refreshes kind of and nothing changes. Does not prompt me for my passphrase or my encryption key.

i get this message in the console when I try to unlock it through the gui:
uwsgi: [middleware.notifier:2975] Importing tank [928474355350295298] failed with: cannot import "928474355350295298": no such pool available

I've tried detaching the volume so its no longer under the storage tab and then and reimporting it. It allows me to select all drives, upload my geli key, and input my passphrase. When I do this however it fails to import.

Code:
zpool import

^this command doe not do anything, does not show me anything, the console just waits for me to input a new command.

Code:
# zpool status
  pool: freenas-boot
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

NAME		STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM
		freenas-boot  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
		  da7p2	 ONLINE	   0	 0	 0

errors: No known data errors

I've tried to zpool import xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (the series of number that shows up in the console). It's as if the zpool does not exist. However, I can see all disks with
gpart status
gpart list
camcontrol devlist
zbd -l
dmesg | grep -i

I read on the forums this guy suggested:
Code:
sqlite3 /data/freenas-va.db "SELECT * FROM storage_volume;"
1|tank|ZFS|928474355350295298|1|ac025a6e-d415-4f70-ba22-35136bc816b5 

He then suggest deleting something with this command (I filled in the number with my number, originally it had someone elses volume ID number):
Code:
sqlite3 /data/freenas-v1.db "DELETE FROM storage_volume WHERE vol_guid = 928474355350295298;"

But I'm scared to try that so I'm posting on my own. My system has plenty of RAM, I followed the documentation for encrypting, saved the key, remembered the passphrase. I don't get what is going on?

Luckily I have my data saved on external hard drives. But it would be nice to figure this out so I don't have to reupload everything all over again.

pschatz100

Guru
I can't help you with your problem, but I'll give some advice: Wait for one of the experienced forum members to reply. Don't start running commands that you are not familiar with, just because some person suggested something for a problem that may - or may not - be the same as your problem. You could make things worse.

Good luck.

MauricioU

Explorer
I can't help you with your problem, but I'll give some advice: Wait for one of the experienced forum members to reply. Don't start running commands that you are not familiar with, just because some person suggested something for a problem that may - or may not - be the same as your problem. You could make things worse.

Good luck.

for sure, that's why I've only ran commands that check things but not change anything

Vito Reiter

Wise in the Ways of Science
Had you ever backed up your config file? If so restore from that config. Also, if you fail to boot after an update simply boot to the prior patch that worked. We have a classic saying here to not encrypt your volume unless you're running a business that requires compliance because you run into these issues.

Edit: You uploaded saved config, see if you can't get it to boot from the original drive by selected "Boot Environments" in the GRUB menu and selecting the prior install --Sorry

MauricioU

Explorer
Had you ever backed up your config file? If so restore from that config. Also, if you fail to boot after an update simply boot to the prior patch that worked. We have a classic saying here to not encrypt your volume unless you're running a business that requires compliance because you run into these issues.

Edit: You uploaded saved config, see if you can't get it to boot from the original drive by selected "Boot Environments" in the GRUB menu and selecting the prior install --Sorry

Hey Vito, yeah I did upload the save config, I also tried to mount my volume without the save config uploaded and it didnt work either. The USB freenas was installed on does not boot anymore. I dont even get to the GRUB menu to pick what boot environment to boot from! I thought I could do that and it didnt seem to work. I can try again though just to be safe.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I'm definitely going to NOT encrypt moving forward lol.

alwilson56

Cadet
Were there anymore suggestions or a resolution for this? I ran into the same issue today upgrading from 11.1 to 11.2. USB drive crapped out, luckily I had a config backup to restore from once a clean install occurred. Now, I'm running into pool import errors. Anyone got advice?

Matt_G

Explorer
Do you have the encryption key for that pool?
It is a separate file from the saved config.

alwilson56

Cadet
No, I of course assumed my 11.1 to 11.2 upgrade would go as planned, but my USB drive failed. I've been running this server for 6 years and been through the 9,10, & 11 upgrades all without problem. I did have the geli and geli_recovery saved on a portable hard drive, but I hadn't needed those keys for quite some time and when I undertook a new project last month I decided the hard drive would work. I've been rumaging through old laptop drives and removables, but I believe I'm just SOL. Back to the upgrade drawing board...

Matt_G

Explorer
Yeah, without the geli key you are totally screwed. :(