Cannot connect to NAS after clicking some network options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will try to be as technical as I can be. I am no networking guru, and I won't lie...but I simply don't understand what I am doing. I have figured out many things in the past by intentionally breaking them to fix them. I am new at this, so am experiencing growing pains. I will try to explain.

I don't have my NAS in the sense of it being connected to a network. It is/was connected DIRECTLY to my PC by ethernet cable. I was able to see/discover the NAS server by using windows "Network" and clicking on it prompted me for the user name/password. I could access the web GUI by entering the IP Address that was given on the NAS server.

My "Internet" connection is provided by a wireless PCI card. My NAS worked by ethernet connection.

Tonight I clicked on internet sharing button, and it disabled my ability to see/connect to the NAS Server. Unclicking the ICS button on my windows PC has not restored access, and the NAS is reporting a Http://0.0.0.0 IP address, which I know is not real. I know that I was in a "Homegroup" that was separate from the rest of the house as well....which makes no sense to me, and tells me that there was 2 different "Homegroups"

To keep it simple, It seems that I am looking for an easy way to connect to this NAS again via Ethernet to ethernet connection. Since I don't understand how SMP servers work, or why it would not work any more I am asking for help again.

sfcredfox

Patron
A good amount of home networking products (routers) have both wireless and wired ports. I'm wondering if you can't just connect FreeNAS to your home router?

If not, a possible but terrible way to connect it to your network that might be easier is getting a wireless adapter for it, or a wireless bridge that connects an Ethernet cabled device to the wireless. Speeds will be horrible, but do you need fast transfers or just to stream something?

If you're having this much trouble with home networking, maybe an idea is to hit some you tube videos that explain simple home networks? I feel like that might be a good primer to get more solid footing into basic networking. That way you can figure out how you want to arrange your setup?

I am betting you don't want to do any kind of internet connection sharing on the PC. Also, if FreeNAS is not getting an IP address from DHCP, you might need to use the console and set a static IP address.

Also, I'm betting it would be easier if the PC and FreeNAS were in the same WorkGroup/HomeGroup/Domain. You can google changing the workgroup on what ever PC OS you have, and the manual should explain how to set that in FreeNAS (services, SMB, workgroup)

I'm wondering if you can't just connect FreeNAS to your home router?
The main purpose of this NAS is to keep my data and family photos safe. The room the router is in is not "safe". I have a collection of 5 nieces & nephews (same mother & father) and honestly the kids are total Fiends (I typed asshole, but there seems to be a word filter). They break every piece of electronics they can touch, and are specifically banned from the upper 2 floors of the house. I know well enough that one of their games would involve mashing the power button over and over until it breaks or loads a mac os or windows. Our living room tv has gouges in it because of them. Tv Remotes are destroyed just to be destroyed. I gave up trying to discipline them. Their parents honestly say dumb shit like "If you don't want them to break stuff, you wouldn't make it available." & since they are in-laws there are certain things I cannot do (Like ban them from the inside of the house). In the big scheme of things, the router is out of reach, but a PC could not be. It is not anyone's problem but the parents, but our families rooms are LOCKED when these monsters are over. These kids range from 3-12 years old. If you have ever read lord of the flies you would get a bit of understanding, and I wish I was joking. I have had to replace wii controllers because they have chewed them apart. Also the NAS makes a nice monitor riser, but that is a bonus "feature". I don't know how my wife is nothing like her sister, but I know she wouldn't be my wife if she was.

Also, I thought I was using a patch cable, but was not. I replaced it with a patch cable right now & it worked right away. I had a odd setup for my network connections as at one point I was using tunneling software to play Xbox LAN games over the internet. I have an idea these settings will need redone as well.

I'm betting it would be easier if the PC and FreeNAS were in the same WorkGroup/HomeGroup/Domain.
This is a great chunk of info, and after work I will look into it. I know nothing about networking, so something like this may be all I need to move forward. Under my current setup, the NAS is only available to my PC, but eventually I wouldn't mind it available to others on the network.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.