Cannot boot into windows after Testing FreeNAS via USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caretaker

Dabbler
I'm in the works of building a Server for FreeNAS. I installed FreeNAS onto a USB drive to temporarily run FreeNAS on my machine to get some hands on time with FreeNAS and get my feet wet while waiting on getting my last parts to complete the server.

Did some minor poking around at first (didn't make any pools), then went back to my windows install, No Problems. Decided to poke around a bit more and make a pool on an unused disk, mount it and start poking some more stuff. Set up CIFS and test some networking speeds and how user login/drive mounting is going to happen.

OK, all done, shutdown, remove USB.

Now I get this message when trying to boot into my Windows install...

This is a NAS data disk and cannot boot system. System halted._

Before you say it, I already made sure my BIOS is trying to boot into the right drive, AND I made sure I didn't format my OS Disk by using a live running MiniXP, all my files are still there on the OS Drive.

Any idea what I've done or how to correct it? Thank you for your time in advance.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Unplug the disk you formated with zfs. Your computer is still trying to boot from the wrong drive.

Caretaker

Dabbler
Well, it didn't help. It actually sent my computer into boot loops. Trying to recover using the Windows 10 disk gave strange messages like the 'disc is locked', or 'unable to access' without giving a reason.Unfortunately I just said screw it, I am going to back up to an image from last week.

Thank you for your help anyway.

Reptarju

Cadet
Caretaker-

I used to run into this same issue when I used to dual boot Linux and Windows.

If Windows doesn't perform a complete shutdown (hibernate/suspend) the drive will be flagged as such, which helps in booting back up more efficiently for windows, but can also make mounting the drive in another OS difficult.

If a 'dirty' dismount(or Chkdsk failure) occurs on windows/Linux/*NIX, it will lock the NTFS volume.

If you can get/have a liveCD/USB you can google a fix on how to unlock pending your 'liveOS' of choice.
  • This being said you should be able to use your freeNAS stick to do this, you may need to scour the freeBSD forums
  • look into NTFS-3G
  • also ntfsfix

Last edited:

diedrichg

Wizard
When you created the pool in FreeNAS are you SURE you didn't utilize the drive that has Windows on it as part of the pool?

And have you checked the BIOS for boot device order?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.