Cannot add file extent for iSCSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

paltskallen

Cadet
Hello!

I'm upgraded my freenas from 8.0.4-64 to 8.2 and after that it seems that I cannot add a new file extent for iSCSI

I'm running esxi5 with one iscsi target on the freenas which is running fine.
But now I want to create another iscsi target, but when I click "add file extent", filling in the values and click ok, everything seems to be ok, but no file is created.

How can I trace what is happening?

/Regards Fredrik

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
You must set the size so the file can be created (0 means the file mus preexist)... AND associate a target with the extent...

paltskallen

Cadet
Yes, I have set the size to 300GB, exactly as I did for the previous fileextent which is already running.

paltskallen

Cadet
I tried to create the file manually and setting the size to 0 in the gui and accosiated a target, still no go. esx cannot se the disk.
But after I rebooted the freenas system the new iscsi target showed up.

Rural

Dabbler
paltskallen, you aren't alone. I've just encountered the same behavior on FreeNAS-8.2.0-BETA4-x64 (r11722). Added a new device extent, set up the target, made the target association, and... Nothing can see it. Rebooted the FreeNAS server and there it is.

I've created a bug report (https://support.freenas.org/ticket/1703).

paltskallen

Cadet
I also had problems creating the file extent, had to do it manually, do you have the same problem? Eg. setting the size in the create dialog did nothing, had to log in and dd to a file.

praecorloth

Contributor
Word of warning. I think we're at like 6 out of 6 ESXi 5 + FreeNAS 8 iSCSI combos, and 1 out of 1 ESXi 5 + FreeNAS NFS combo where the solution is just completely unstable. Sometimes ESXi will psod, sometimes FreeNAS will kernel panic and crash. I'm pretty sure VMWare has changed something in ESXi that just makes it hate software storage solutions. We've used FreeNAS 8 successfully with ESXi 3.5, 4.0, and 4.1. Just that switch to 5.0 really borked things.

Rural

Dabbler
I also had problems creating the file extent, had to do it manually, do you have the same problem? Eg. setting the size in the create dialog did nothing, had to log in and dd to a file.

I'm using disk extents. So I've already used the GUI to set up a data set within a volume before pointing iSCSI at it.

And I'm not using ESXi. Using iscsiadm from a Linux box (several Linux boxes, actually) I couldn't discover the newly configured targets.

Rural

Dabbler
Just a quick note on this: We ran into the same problem this morning, so we had an opportunity to try restarting the iSCSI service instead of rebooting. That works. Any created targets will show up after the service restarts.

Rural

Dabbler
Thanks to william, I have a fix: Under target global configuration, the "enable LUC" option has to be set and the associated settings set to their defaults. With this done, new targets show up without rebooting or restarting the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.