Cannot Access Zvols

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zecht

Cadet
So I have a variety of problems with Freenas. First of all I installed and got it running, and tried to create the tardisc zpool as a mirror with 2x4TB disks. I followed the videos and guide exactly, but everything went south when I tried to start installing jails.

I installed the plex and transmission plugins, which added the jails shown in the *.png. Now, I can not only not get the plugins to see the zvols, I also cannot access the data that was originally put into zvols (that I could access before).

The weird thing is, I can access the Abzorbaloff zvol via iSCSI, and save, delete, and modify data that is present in that zvol. However, when I attempt to do so with the non-iSCSI zvol (Media), I cannot see it, navigate to it, or get it to show up in the CIFS shares.

Not really sure what all I should put in, so please let me know if there are other screenshots or information that would help narrow down why I can't access the Media zvol through shares, or even the shell (when I navigate to it and do ls, it is not shown as an option, only the jail shows up).

Attachments

• zfsvolmanager.png
    zfsvolmanager.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 191

cyberjock

Inactive Account
zvols are block devices. They have no file system, so using them locally is... pointless. If those two answers don't make sense to you then you don't understand how zvols and iscsi work. ;)

Zecht

Cadet
Sorry, I must have been confused. Can you not share block devices, connected over iSCSI?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Yes you can share zvols over iSCSI. But remember, it's like hooking up an external USB drive to a computer. The OS has to understand the filesystem on the drive. And unless you have a clustering aware OS (like ESX), if you have more that one machine connected, you will corrupt the data in the zvol.

Status
Not open for further replies.