Cannot access windows shares Error 0x8004005

mvcad

Contributor
Hi All, Any idea why I cannot access my windows shares on my TrueNAS? This only from my Company issued laptop (Dell 7560). I have no issues accessing it from all other PCs around the house. Please see error message below.

I already checked Samba service is enabled and also installed on my laptop.
Would be the case my laptop belongs to a Domain? my other PCs belong to the standards WORKGROUP.

I am using TrueNAS-12.0-U7. Hardware on my signature.
Note, I have no issues accessing Plex and Zoneminder.

1641969225812.png

I would appreciate any help as I am lost now.

mvcad

Contributor
If I run a command for my server ie \\192.168.1.66, I am getting tis error: "
You can't access this shared folder because your organization's security policies block unauthenticated guest access. These policies help protect your PC from unsafe or malicious devices on the network."

1641973190699.png

Any way to get it to work?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
This is normal default modern Windows behavior when faced with a Samba share with guest access enabled (should be covered in the SMB docs). Try connecting to \\server\share and input valid credentials (maybe save credentials in credential manager).

mvcad

Contributor
Thanks @anodos I tried that but I got the error message as my second post.

mvcad

Contributor
I also tried enabling unauthorized users and Also I created a new user on Truenas matching my work laptop user and password. after running my server i got this error
1642033122625.png

mvcad

Contributor
I made some progress, at least now it is not throwing any error, however, I am getting an invalid user and password. even though they are correct.

Interestingly, I also have a Synology NAS and I don't have any of these issues.

1642033692585.png

mvcad

Contributor
Also turned off allow guest access on all my shares but still no luck. Just run out of ideas

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I made some progress, at least now it is not throwing any error, however, I am getting an invalid user and password. even though they are correct.

Interestingly, I also have a Synology NAS and I don't have any of these issues.

View attachment 52245
Check output of `midclt call smb.status AUTH_LOG | jq` and post log message being generated when you attempt to connect to TrueNAS.

mvcad

Contributor
You are a genius mate! after checking the output of your command I noticed ""passwordType": "NTLMv1" that I knew it was disabled so I enabled it and Voila! I can access my NAS now from my work laptop. Thanks heaps!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
This is a serious security misconfiguration on your windows client. You should fix it there and not downgrade security settings on the NAS. Let us know if you have an idea what software you may have installed that changed his setting.