Cannot access hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

morbious

Cadet
Hi All,

I am a newbie who has made a stupid mistake. I downloaded the latest version of FreeNas yesterday and installed it onto my computer's hard drive instead of the usb stick. I then installed it on the usb stick but cannot access the hard drive. How can I format the hard drive so I can use it?

TIA

ProtoSD

MVP
It's in the documentation and Unofficial FAQ in my signature below. You basically need to do the 2 commands below from the command line at the console and change the device name (ada1) to match the device name for your disk, which you can get with "camcontrol devlist".

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada1 bs=1m count=1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada1 bs=1m oseek=`diskinfo ada1 | awk '{print int($3 / (1024*1024)) - 4;}'`

morbious

Cadet
Hi protosd,

I typed in the first line of code and hit enter. It had an error saying "Operation not supported". I'm a newbie to linux also, so I was hoping there was a simple fix like running fdisk or something.

ProtoSD

MVP
....I was hoping there was a simple fix like running fdisk or something.

I might be easier if you take the drive out and hook it up to windows or something and reformat it, or get a linux boot CD and boot from that and use fdisk.

Status
Not open for further replies.