Cannot access data on ZFS mirror migrated from Proxmox

JEr4t6kJC3

Cadet
Greetings,

I just installed SCALE, coming from Proxmox, so I'm quite new to the system - bear with me :)

In my Proxmox install I had a couple of disks in a ZFS mirror. The mirror was used by a VM running OpenMediaVault in which I mounted the disks and ran a SMB environment.

Now I'm trying to access the data on the drives in SCALE. I imported the ZFS pool without any issues however I cannot create a share that includes the pre-excisting content on the disks. To me, it seems like I'm creating a share on the remaining available 221.83 GiB of data.

My Storage-tab looks like this:
dump.png

Navigating to the "Shares"-tab and setting up a SMB share ends up looking like this:
dump2.png

Now, I have no problem accessing this share, but theres not data on it. Navigating to the shell and subsequently navigating to the /mnt/Multimedia and listing the content reveals an empty void.

What am I doing wrong?
How do I "select" the pre-excisting partition with content and mount that as needed?

Thank you in advance!

Arwen

MVP
It appears that your pool used a ZFS zVol, (shown as a VOLUME in the GUI), for storage, and not a dataset. ZFS zVols are useful for VMs, (local or remote), and foreign file systems.

TrueNAS SCALE does not do anything directly with zVols. It will either let you use them with a VM. Or export them as iSCSI to an external computer.

Basically your prior Proxmox configuration is different enough from TrueNAS SCALE that you have to know what was using that zVol. Like Linux with EXT3. Then you can consider making a Linux VM that can read that zVol. Since you mention Open Media Vault, that is probably what used that zVol. (I have no knowledge of Open Media Vault... so I don't know what OS & file system it could be.)

JEr4t6kJC3

Cadet
Alright, thank you so much for clarifying. I've got a theoretical solution that I'd love to get your input on whether it is feasable or not:

Bit of backstory: I bought a new drive onto which I installed SCALE, meaning I have the Proxmox install on an old drive still.

Let's say I yanked one of the two disks from the ZFS mirror and put the old Proxmox install drive into the server.
- Booted Proxmox and ye olde VMs (including OpenMediaVault)
- Took that yanked out disk from the mirror and put it in my gaming-rig, formatted it and then copied all the data over LAN from the (now single-disk) share to the newly formatted disk in my gaming-rig.
- Then boot the server back up in SCALE, and reformat the single disk into a pool with a dataset and copy the contents of the disk in the gaming rig to the dataset.
- And last, but not least, reinstall the second drive (coming from the gaming-rig) and add it to the existing pool enabling it as a mirror again.

I'm trying to avoid needing to buy a third 12TB HDD, therefore the jumping through hoops :)
Please let me know if you need any further info with regards to my setup.

Thank you again!

Arwen

MVP
With ZFS Mirrored vDevs, you don't "yank" a sub-mirror. Since you don't need to preserve the data, you would use "zpool detach". Their is probably some GUI place to do that.

In general, your plan sounds good. But, I would add a preliminary step to run a ZFS scrub against the pool. Just to verify that all the data is good, before removing the redundancy.

On another issue, if you had a working Proxmox install, why change to TrueNAS SCALE?

TrueNAS SCALE, (while officially released), is still a very new product. I would not expect everything to work perfectly for at least a year. (When compared to TrueNAS Core, which has more than 8 years of development behind it.)