Canceling a resilver

Status
Not open for further replies.

praecorloth

Contributor
Hey everyone,

I've been searching around for a while looking for a way to cancel a resilver. I know, generally a terrible idea. But I've got a situation where a resilver has brought a production environment down. I'm running FreeNAS 9.10.1-U2 with a RAID-Z2 (would have liked a pool of mirrors, but this is what I have). The recommendations I've seen thus far are as follows:

scrub -s zpoolname
This doesn't actually stop a resilver. I don't recall the exact error message, but it said something about not being able to do a scrub because a resilver was in process.

zpool remove zpoolname uselessdisk-ID
The remove feature only works on against certain vdevs.

Offline the disk
I can indeed offline the disk, but the read process for the resilver continues against the remaining disks. zpool status shows that it is resilvering, the only difference is that instead of a handful of MB/s, it's running at upwards of 200MB/s. Which is nice, but it's still not fast enough to finish the operation in time for the environment to be useful to the business.

Ultimately, we'd like to resilver starting Friday night, and let it run over the weekend, which is apparently the time it needs. But we just cannot cancel this resilver process. So the big question: Is it possible to cancel the resilver process?

If it matters, I'm using a Xeon E3-1220v3, 32GB (4x8GB) of DDR3 ECC, OS is installed to an SSD, the pool consists of 4x WD Black 2TB. Disks are plugged into the motherboard, which is an ASUS P9D-MV. We have other NAS's with similar configuration, where resilvering has not taken nearly as long.

m0nkey_

MVP
As far as I know, once a resilver has been started it cannot (and probably shouldn't) be stopped.

rs225

Guru
Is it possible you have another problem drive? Or any custom tweaks to the configuration?

praecorloth

Contributor
It's entirely possible that there is another problem somewhere along the line. I was just hoping that there'd be a way to cancel the resilvering. But it looks like some of the other threads I've seen in my Googling around the internet may just be pipe dreams. Sad times, but it totally makes sense.

The moral of the thread is:
Don't resilver unless you're ready to dedicate some time to resilvering, and know that you can't stop it once it is started.

rs225

Guru
That is always a good idea, but a resilver or scrub should not cause significant problems with normal operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.