Can we request new iocage ports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Is it worth doing so? I know it's an easier process now for the new system but I feel a bit presumptuous just demanding people make stuff for us? Is anyone even good at this or maintining it?

(I mean plugins, basically)

Im sure you can request, but im unsure if requests are being taken. Creating and maintaining iocage jails is very simple and well documented so I am unsure if the next iteration of FN will even have plugins. Last I knew everyone was raging to use docker containers. Not sure if that is still the plan or what.

Danb35 has a script for the automation install of Nextcloud 13 up at github.. Maybe this is the future?? I still think for most "plugins" that installing them manually IS and will always BE the best way.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Creating and maintaining iocage jails is very simple and well documented so I am unsure if the next iteration of FN will even have plugins.
A functioning plugins system is half the reason for iocage. There is no if about it, it's already in.

Is it worth doing so? I know it's an easier process now for the new system but I feel a bit presumptuous just demanding people make stuff for us? Is anyone even good at this or maintining it?

(I mean plugins, basically)
I don't know who did the initial batch of plugins. I do know that iX will be taking pull requests for new plugins.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Thanks Eric,

The misinformation about the Warden to iocage change has been pretty bad (and I'm also to blame on that) it wasn't really, *abundantly* clear that it'll be eventually, business as usual, just like FN 9 / 11.1 for plugins, just with a different engine so to speak.

Having tested nightly a bit more now, it's slowly getting there and I can envision it replacing the old system without any major problems.
Fingers very much crossed for more to be built in the coming year.

diskdiddler

Wizard
On this note actually, will there at least be some kind of guide or tutorial on how to make these? I believe it's significantly easier, so if we can get the documentation out there (preferably a week or two before 11.2 ships?) we might see some people produce some good stuff?

The documentation team is working on it, see feature request 20236.

Where there supposedly were only 3 or 4 people that could write a PBI-based plugin for warden managed jails, the iocage based plugins seems indeed quite straightforward. I actually think that anybody who has posted a "How to install <some application> in an iocage jail" tutorial in these forums, should be able to create a basic iocage plugin.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I don't seem to be able to click most of the links here.
https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/20236

Are they locked down?

I'd love to just glance at the template and guide, just to get an idea of the difficulty.

The links work for me, maybe you need a github account.

The gist of it is that you need to structure your data as follows:
  1. The plugin manifest: a JSON file that has instruction on how to create your iocage jail. This file has the name, FreeBSD release, pkg repo, list of pkg to install band link to artifact repo (see below)
  2. The artifact repo: a github repo with the post-install instructions, a link to the admin URL of whatever service it's installing & (optionally) a directory structure with files to create/overwrite &
You can look at some example implementations here:
  1. The official plugins: https://github.com/freenas/iocage-ix-plugins
  2. I converted my How to install MineOS in a jail tutorial into an iocage plugin: https://github.com/jsegaert/iocage-my-plugins

diskdiddler

Wizard
Hi,

Sorry to bump the thread again but I'm a little bit concerned that when FN 11.2 releases (soonish?) That some of the existing users of FreeNAS will get annoyed. (I'm already seeing angry posts on Reddit about the ioCage system)
Considering the FN10 fiasco, FreeNAS is starting to get a bit of a sour name, rather than a positive name (as well as some things going on in the FreeBSD community at the moment)
I suspect we're going to see annoyed customers with the new UI, plus frustration moving from Warden to ioCage, let's at least let them get the functionality back that they had previously?

I realise this means someone needs to literally do some porting work, but can we put a call out to some developers somewhere to do this? I don't actually ask for me, I ask for the good name of this OS I care about.

So, is it possible to ensure that all the Warden plugins (or the vast majority of up to date ones?) are definitely available under ioCage at time of launch?

Here is a list of the included plugins for ioCage (22)
Code:
BackupPC
BRU Server
BitTorrent Sync
ClamAV
CouchPotato
Deluge
Emby
GitLab
Jenkins
Jenkins (LTS)
MadSonic
NextCloud
Plex Media Server
Plex Media Server (PlexPass)
Quasselcore
SickRage
Sonarr
SubSonic
Syncthing
Tarsnap
Transmission
TinyTinyRSS

Here's a list of the plugins for Warden (27)
Code:
bacula-sd
CouchPotato
crashplan
Emby
firefly
Headphones
HTPC-Manager
LazyLibrarian
Madsonic
Maraschino
MineOS
Mylar
Nextcloud
NZBHydra
ownCloud
PlexMediaServer
Resilio
s3cmd
SABnzbd
SickBeard
SickRage
Sonarr
Subsonic
Syncthing
Transmission
XDM
XMRig

I'm going to also be posting this as a very low priority feature request on the bug tracker. See what the main devs think./

Status
Not open for further replies.