Can someone give my migration plan a once-over?

hungarianhc

Patron
Hey there,

I'm in the process of upgrading my TrueNAS box, and in the process, I'm going to move to TrueNAS virtualized on ProxMox. In the process, I'm going to upgrade to a new

I have an X570D4U-2L2T motherboard right now, and I'm moving to a new RAIDZ array that has newer, faster drives, doesn't have legacy encryption, etc.

Current config:
- X570D4U w/ 7 sata drives in use: 1 TrueNAS boot SSD, 1 VMs / jails SSD, and 5 hard drives in RAIDZ2
- Motherbaord has 8 sata ports on it

Steps I'm thinking...
1. Back up existing config.
2. Buy HBA card to get more SATA ports.
3. Unplug existing boot SSD and jails SSD.
4. Install fresh boot device for ProxMox.
5. Install ProxMox on boot device.
6. Install another SSD for ProxMox VMs.
7. Install TrueNAS Core onto a VM.
8. Pass the SATA controller and HBA card to the TrueNAS VM.
9. Import backup file into VM.
10. VM should properly import the pool of hard drives.
11. Plug new drives into HBA card. Format them with TrueNAS.
12. Create a new RAIDZ array with the new drives.
13. Use "ZFS send" to send my datasets over to the new RAID array.
14. Fix my shares / mount points.
15. Migrate my jails / VMs from TrueNAS one by one over to ProxMox, making sure to migrate everything properly.
16. After running for a couple days an all is working, destroy the ZFS array on the old drives, box up the system, and party.

Am I missing anything here? Any key steps or gotchas I should expect? Thanks!

daryusnslr

Cadet
I'm guessing you have already done this and hopefully it went well? I followed the same series of steps with my home setup, minus #9 and #15, since I was moving from Scale to virtualized Core, and it's been working really well in the last 2 months or so.
I have similar AMD hardware (X570D4U) and I'm curious about your experience with 1. fan set up and 2. overall power efficiency. These two are the only things I haven't been able to tune to my liking.