Can see share on ipad but not in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dom Buxton

Cadet
Hi All,

Just set up my first attempt at FreeNas (9.2.1.9) accessing the machine from a laptop running windows 8.1.
The machine I'm using for FreeNas only has 2GB of RAM and for that reason I've set it up using UFS rather than ZFS. I've set everything up right (I think, followed 3 or 4 guides which pretty much say the same thing.) Only problem is that I can't find the CIFS share on the laptop. I've checked that the workgroup is correct, but they are. I would accept that I've done something wrong and start again, but I can see the share on my ipad through Goodplayer.

The motherboard is an Asrock am2nf6g-vsta.

Hope this is enough info, debug file attached.

Thanks for your help.

Dom

Attachments

• debug-freenas-20141128133742.tgz
    66 KB · Views: 204

pschatz100

Guru
You did something wrong, all right. You set up FreeNAS on a machine with 2Gb of RAM. The guides stipulate a minimum of 8Gb.

Dom Buxton

Cadet
Taken from the FreeNas website:

7. Which filesystem should I use with FreeNAS: UFS or ZFS?
FreeNAS is designed around the ZFS filesystem, which provides many of the advanced features of FreeNAS. Many ZFS operations require sufficient RAM, which is why the FreeNAS system requirements recommend a minimum of 8GB of RAM. If you have less than 8GB of RAM (especially 4GB and below), UFS is a viable alternative. UFS provides basic functionality to allow you to use the sharing features of FreeNAS, but provides none of the advanced data protection features of ZFS. Other filesystems including NTFS, FAT, EXT2 and EXT3 are supported for import only, in order to transfer data onto a ZFS or UFS volume.

As I said, I've used UFS as the machine isn't up to much, but that wouldn't explain why it was showing up on one device and not another.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Taken from the FreeNas website:

As I said, I've used UFS as the machine isn't up to much, but that wouldn't explain why it was showing up on one device and not another.

NetBIOS being NetBIOS.

pschatz100

Guru
Yes, The FAQ's make this statement. I presume you downloaded the 32bit version of FreeNAS, which is not as stable as the 64bit version.

When I first started using FreeNAS several years ago, my machine was an AMD box of similar vintage to yours. With the release of version 9, I began to have strange problems with networking. As it so happens, I updated to an Intel server and the network problems went away. I think that earlier versions of FreeNAS (FreeBSD really) supported the older AMD architectures (and Realtek NIC's) better than the newer versions.

The fact that you can see the share on your iPad would lead one to believe the issue might really be with the Windows 8.1 machine. I don't have Windows 8.1, so can't say from personal experience. However, I can say that, even if you get it to work on that system - it won't be reliable.

Support for both 32bit FreeNAS version and UFS are going away with version 9.3, so I don't think you'll get much support for this configuration. You would be better served with one of the other NAS systems that accommodate older hardware better than FreeNAS.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Dom Buxton

Cadet
Yes, The FAQ's make this statement. I presume you downloaded the 32bit version of FreeNAS, which is not as stable as the 64bit version.

When I first started using FreeNAS several years ago, my machine was an AMD box of similar vintage to yours. With the release of version 9, I began to have strange problems with networking. As it so happens, I updated to an Intel server and the network problems went away. I think that earlier versions of FreeNAS (FreeBSD really) supported the older AMD architectures (and Realtek NIC's) better than the newer versions.

The fact that you can see the share on your iPad would lead one to believe the issue might really be with the Windows 8.1 machine. I don't have Windows 8.1, so can't say from personal experience. However, I can say that, even if you get it to work on that system - it won't be reliable.

Support for both 32bit FreeNAS version and UFS are going away with version 9.3, so I don't think you'll get much support for this configuration. You would be better served with one of the other NAS systems that accommodate older hardware better than FreeNAS.

What I'm basically trying to do is have a play with FreeNas on this machine, learn how to use it etc before I make a decision whether to spend any money on a newer machine or not. If I really struggle with it, I may just use windows as a file server, but we'll see how it goes.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Change max protocol version to smb2

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't know why people keep trying to force a minimum (or maximum) protocol. The server and client will negotiate the maximum supported based on the settings used. The defaults (I forget what they are and too lazy to check) should work just fine and shouldn't need changing unless you have f*cked something up with CIFS on your desktop(s). There is nothing gained by forcing SMB2 over an older protocol version, and there are definite downsides if your client doesn't support it. Ironically we see threads where users have actually screwed up the sharing because they forced a higher protocol that was supported by the client and was therefore not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.