Can I upgrade from 3G hard disk to 4G

zhangzq71

Cadet
My Nas has 4 slots for HD, I had installed 3 3G HDs using raid5 mode, and used for a while. Now one of that 3 HDs had some problems, so I unplug that HD from slot, now there are 2 slots available, I want to insert a 4G HD to a slot and reconstruct the data,after that I replace one of that 2 remained 3HD, and reconstruct data. And replace that last one 3G HD in the same way. Now I have replaced that 3 3G hds with 3 4G HDs, is it possible to adjust the vdev?

exeter_acres

Explorer
Have you replaced all the disks yet? I thought (Haven't done it yet) that when you replaced the last disk, the size of the Vdev would automatically change

danb35

Hall of Famer
I have to assume that the "3G" and "4G" disks you're mentioning are actually 3 TB and 4 TB, as you'd have trouble finding even a SD card as small as 4 GB these days. But yes, if your "raid5 mode" is actually RAIDZ, you can replace the disks, one at a time, with larger ones, and once you finish, the pool will expand to use that capacity. The documentation discusses how to replace disks.

zhangzq71

Cadet
Have you replaced all the disks yet? I thought (Haven't done it yet) that when you replaced the last disk, the size of the Vdev would automatically change
Yes, I have not replaced, I just want to make sure if it is possible. :smile:

zhangzq71

Cadet
I have to assume that the "3G" and "4G" disks you're mentioning are actually 3 TB and 4 TB, as you'd have trouble finding even a SD card as small as 4 GB these days. But yes, if your "raid5 mode" is actually RAIDZ, you can replace the disks, one at a time, with larger ones, and once you finish, the pool will expand to use that capacity. The documentation discusses how to replace disks.
Yes, it is 3TB and 4TB. and mine is RAIDZ mode. That means that operation is feasible?

Redcoat

MVP