Can I restart from last block after badblocks (or maybe tmux?) froze?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goda

Cadet
I'm doing hard drive burn-in per this post: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-hard-drive-burn-in-testing.21451/

TL;DR badblocks seems frozen. Is there a way to restart badblocks at a point part way through the test to save time?

I had badblocks running on four 3TB drives and last night it was about 15 hours in. I ran them from tmux directly on the terminal through IPMI(so not ssh). Last night I also did a few things on the web gui(opened shell, ran tmux attach, closed shell, later reopened shell and closed it again, changed ssh settings, changed root password, logged off). I also tried to ssh in with no success.

This morning I checked and it appears badblocks stopped processing around the same time I did all of that on the web gui. The progress and elapsed time haven't changed. I detached and attached tmux but nothing changed. I tried to open the shell from the web gui, but it just says "loading" then closes. tmux process is taking up 0.89% processor, and the four badblocks processes are taking up 0%. There is also no I/O activity on any of the disks either.

It seems badblocks froze, but I guess tmux might have glitched out and badblocks actually finished. Since I didn't put any output file for badblocks, is there anyway to find out if thats the case?

Thanks for any suggestions! I'd like to save time finding if these drives are bad, since I already have to RMA two other drives that arrived DOA.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Take note of where it froze and start from scratch.

goda

Cadet
For future searchers: tmux froze because of multiple clients connected to it causing badblocks to also freeze. You can detach other clients from tmux with Ctrl-b D(capital D, lowercase detaches the current client).

badblocks was able to continue from where it froze without issues.

TeChn4K

Dabbler
@goda WOW THANK YOU !!!

Same problem with webgui and tmux. You made my day ! I thought my system was partially freezed, but it was not.
Ctrl+b D and select the old Tmux session to kill it. Done ! Tmux (and badblocks in my case) keep going.

This trick should be sticked somewhere. Really helpful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.