Can I Rebuild FreeNAS but keep volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandamonium

Dabbler
Hi all,

Thanks to a drive failure and loss of a volume, I need to do some rebuilding work on my FreeNAS setup. Given a number of minor niggles, I'd quite like to take this opportunity to do a fresh install without inheriting my old config. My problem is I have one raided volume which I MUST NOT lose.

Is it possible to rebuild FreeNAS from scratch and then bring this volume back in again safely - without reloading the current config?

Many Thanks

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

Evertb1

Guru
Yes you can. Just do a fresh install (and thus create a new configuration) and then import the volume. See the manual (par. 8.). The OS is completely separated from your data so it is safe. First take your time reading the information and you should be good. It is certainly not complicated.

Pandamonium

Dabbler
Yes you can. Just do a fresh install (and thus create a new configuration) and then import the volume. See the manual (par. 8.). The OS is completely separated from your data so it is safe. First take your time reading the information and you should be good. It is certainly not complicated.

Thank you. That's what I thought, but I just wanted to be sure before I risk everything.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Existing volumes can be imported into new installs. Before doing this, I would recommend backing up all data and the old configuration externally, just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.