CAM Status: Uncorrectable Parity\CRC Error when creating volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlackerDude

Explorer
Okay, I know a similar thread has been done on this, but I can assure you I *can* follow instructions, and if anything will provide every tiny detail, if someone is willing to help me figure this out. I recently rebuilt my file server using Freenas 9.2.0, on the following hardware:
ASROCK FM2A88X-ITX mini ITX AMD motherboard
CRUCIAL 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 SDRAM
AMD A6-5400K Trinity3.6GHz CPU
ZALMAN CNPS8900 CPU Cooler
WD Red WD40EFRX 4TB Drives (6 each)
LIAN LI PC-Q25B Mini-ITX Tower Case
CORSAIR CX430M ATX 12V Modular Power Supply

The case has 5 "hot-swap" bays, and a drive tray (plate) to which the 6th drive is attached. Dives 1 through 5 are connected to the back plane for power, and the SATA cables run from the back plane to the 6 SATA ports on the motherboard. The motherboard BIOS is set to AHCI for all drives. I formatted each drive individually while connected directly to the SATA ports on the motherboard and then again while connected to the case's back plane SATA ports, and they each looked good to me (I was able to copy files to each of them with no errors). However, when I attempt to use all 6 in a Raid Z2 volume, it errors out with an "uncorrectable parity\CRC error on ada2.

The entire error log looks like this: (attachment). I ran a short S.M.A.R.T test (see attachment) and a long S.M.A.R.T test, (see attachment). I would greatly appreciate any ideas or additional troubleshooting tips in getting this resolved.

EDIT: I found the problem. The back plane on the case is causing the error. I hooked all drives back up with the SATA cables running straight from the drives to the ports on the motherboard & all is good. I am now confirming this by testing the ports on the back plane. If I'm right, I'll be contacting the manufacturer for either a replacement back plane or just RMA the entire case. Thanks for the suggestions, though. The forums are a great source of information for me, even if I do only observer most of the time. :smile:

SmallGuy

Guru
Have a look on the extended self test result when finish. If results are correct, try to swap the position of ada2 on your dive tray with an other healthy drive. Then, look if the trouble follow the "suspicious" drive or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.